Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcP
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

No BT Master socket

Go to solution

I do not have a BT master socket, it a house built in the 1920’s.  The drop comes into the house in a reception room and enters a simple BT80A box.  There are only 2 wires in the drop and then 2 connects that then go to a second junction box that splits to the locations of the phone outlet sockets.  As such I do not know where BT’s wiring and ownership ends and mine starts but assume it has to be the BT80A.  It does not include a ballast or capacitor but the phones generally ring ok, although sometimes get into a ringing frenzy depending on what phone I have plugged in.

I would like to fit a NTE5 with a filtered adsl face plate.  I could simply replace the BT80A with a NTE5 but would prefer it to be located in a cupboard under the stairs.  Would it be ok to simply take a connect from the BT80A to the cupboard and fit my own NTE5 with face plate?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: No BT Master socket

Go to solution

can you not just replace the second junction box with your master whether NTE5 or the the newer version and then connect your extension sockets to the new master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
marcP
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly.  This was my first thought so I get the NTE5 where I want it.  I guess that if BT then come along later and put another master in the first position it shouldn’t make too much difference.  I had read though that you get a better speed for internet if you get the router direct on the master socket. An NTE5 in the original location would also stick out from the wall too far so will go for the second position, thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

openreach don't normally connect dropwire from pole to the master.  they normal have a junction box like you have where the dropwire meets the internal wiring then internal wiring is conencted to master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Would you still require all the other phone sockets? Or could you just manage with one?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings