cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slt76
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

No dial tone but FTTC still working?

Hi, we had the delights of openreach doing some work in a kerbside pit about 20m from our house. Within about an hour of them turning up we now have no dial tone and our rock solid FTTC has gone from 51mb to 14mb. I fear it's no coincidence. Line checks show no fault from BT side and an engineer is booked. When we dial our number it's ringing (just not in our house). Can anyone shed any light as to what openreach may have done or has expired anything similar? The weird thing is our line stars Attn and SNR or look the same as if the line is in good shape only sync has dropped a lot and obviously no dial tone.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: No dial tone but FTTC still working?

Kerbside Pit. 😆

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Disconnection on one wire, broadband will still work, but much slower.

Report fault as no dial tone. Once its fixed, the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
slt76
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for that Keith. Was expecting as much but was shocked that they found nothing when they tested the line and that it still rang out when dialled. Hopefully OR will get it sorted on Friday.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@slt76 wrote:
Thanks for that Keith. Was expecting as much but was shocked that they found nothing when they tested the line and that it still rang out when dialled. Hopefully OR will get it sorted on Friday.

The line test cannot show a disconnection at the far end, and the ringing out sound is generated in the exchange, and will still be there, even if the line is disconnected.

0 Ratings
slt76
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the explanation. Seems I'm not the only one in the street affected so god only knows what damage OR have done. I feel sorry for the poor guy that has to come and unravel someone else's handy work on Friday.
0 Ratings