cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Not happy with the way the phone works now

I recently upgraded to superfast fibre-optic. This involved having a new router. Unfortunately, it transpired that none of my phones worked. I had to get back onto BT and they sent me some phones. These phones connect wirelessly to your router. They are a load of rubbish. The range is really not very good and as soon as you get near the back door in my house you lose signal. Also, you've got to dial the area code when phoning local numbers. I discovered that you had to plug other phones straight into the router because they don't work in the sockets on the wall anymore. I ran discovered that if somebody rings me and I answer on one of the wireless handsets you can't kick off one of the phones that is attached to the router and talk to the person, and vice versa. The system is absolutely terrible. I'm supposed to be on 300 yet I'm barely getting 100. From what I have gained the upgrade was just not worth the hassle I am getting now.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Not happy with the way the phone works now

Firstly the speed. How are you testing this? Wirelessly or via an Ethernet Connection?

In terms of Digital Voice, this is what BT are calling their Voice Over Internet protocol (VoIP) service. This change is because All Communication Providers (CPs) are moving to Digital (VoIP) phone services as the UK wide analogue PSTN network is being closed down by 2025.

In terms of the bit about local number having to have the area code. This change is allowed off the back of OFCOM's recommendations with the new VoIP systems.
"What we are proposing To remove the obligation on telecoms providers to provide a ‘local dialling’ facility. Local dialling lets someone make a call from one landline to another landline in the same area without dialling the area code. Our research has found that the value of local dialling for consumers has declined. Given the increased complexity of providing it on IP-based networks, we consider a requirement to provide this facility is no longer justified."

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0028/217747/second-consultation-future-of-telephone-...

As to the other point: 
I ran discovered that if somebody rings me and I answer on one of the wireless handsets you can't kick off one of the phones that is attached to the router and talk to the person, and vice versa. 

With VoIP systems such as BT Digital Voice you can make 2 calls simultaneously, so you could be speaking to person A and another call can be made to Person B at the same time . The Digital Voice phone I believe have a options to turn that off but I'm not sure if that can be configured when also using the green telephone port on the back of the Smart Hub 2

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

The handsets don't connect to the hub via wifi, it is DECT (cordless phone technology) which has a much greater range than wifi.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

The new DV phone are not wireless but connect to hub by DECT just like most cordless phones. The range of dect is superior to any wireless connections.

If you use search facility you find numerous posts about digital voice which more than likely covers the points concerning you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Sorry about some of the typos. I'm using voice recognition and sometimes it gets the words wrong. Because of my site privileges, I only get one editing session.

Oh, I didn't realise that you could make two calls simultaneously. Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. Does that mean that if someone is talking on the handset for instance and somebody rings me then my phone that is wired into the router will ring?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Okay, I will be sure to check this out. Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Provided you have it set in the settings then you can make/receive 2 calls at the same time

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I'm using one of those online speed test websites. You just click go and tells you what the upload & download speed is. Why, is this not the right way to do it?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Digital Voice comes with a lot of free features, you can see them at Digital Voice: How do I use my calling features? 

Digital Voice means the numbers are no longer tied to the exchange, if you moved from Scotland to London, you can keep the same telephone number.

The quality of calls is better and is also billed as more reliable than a traditional phone service (PSTN).

Some worry about the loss of calls during a power cut, BT sell battery backup units or you can buy them, certain criteria for vulnerable customers will see a battery backup unit provided free, the same customers should also quality for priority repairs with their electricity company, energy companies are obliged to provide extra services in case of a power cut.

If you have multiple phones like a duo, trio or quad, only the base needs connected to the router or using an adapter, the other phones will work exactly the same, if you have multiple single phones connected to extensions each phone would need an adapter, BT offer 1 free, the rest are chageable depending on how many you need.

BT will also provide 1 free Alexa phone or 2 essential phones free of charge.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

But is the device you are using with a speed test website connected to your smart hub 2 wirelessly or via a wired ethernet connection?

Testing Wireless can result in the speed test results being influenced by the limitations of wireless connection and that is interference.

0 Ratings