cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Old BT Hub phone 2.1 - is it any use for anything?

Go to solution

Found an old Hub Phone 2.1 BT sent me that I never used (the ones that were for Broadband Talk).

Can this be used for anything with the new Digital Voice system, or is it completely redundant now.

I have snaffled the rechargeable batteries, but is the handset only fit for e-waste recycling?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Old BT Hub phone 2.1 - is it any use for anything?

Go to solution

@jlovie 

Its a DECT compatible phone, so you may be able to register it to the DECT base station which is part of the Smart Hub 2, assuming you have BT Digital voice. Not sure what functions will work, but it would be worth trying, if you do not want to send it to e-waste.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I've also dug out an old BT Freestyle 750 cordless phone & base I inherited from my parents.

Is there any way to register the hub phone to that?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@jlovie wrote:

I've also dug out an old BT Freestyle 750 cordless phone & base I inherited from my parents.

Is there any way to register the hub phone to that?

I used to have a number of these hub phones, and I had them registered to an old BT Diverse base unit, so I cannot see any issues. I seem to remember you could register the phones to more than one base unit, but it was a long time ago now.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I've had notification of getting switched to Digital Voice soon, which is why I ended up sorting through my old phones. I think the phone I use in one room is so old it might not even work with the adaptor, so I was searching around to see if I had anything else. I'm reluctant to buy any more landline phones as I don't use it that much nowadays, and was hoping I could use something I already have.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@jlovie 

Which phone are you using at the moment, as it should work fine with DV, if its plugged into the phone socket on the SH2, or into a DV adapter?

BT will also supply one free DECT phone which works with DV.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

One old phone doesn't even have tone dial, I suspect it might be a problem even with an adapter. That's why I'm rooting around looking for an alternative just in case.

I've got the free adapter (that turned into quite a saga, it's not as simple as just phoning the number in the letter and ordering one).

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

A pulse dialling (loop disconnect) phone will not work. I believe there are third party devices available which will do the conversion, but unless its an antique phone that you want to keep using, the extra cost would not be worth it.

As I have said, BT will give you a free phone anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I've already got the free adapter so can't get the free phone now.

I have enough phones and the adapter for it all to work, I just wondered if the hub phone could be used.

I've actually found even more phones when I was looking for something else. Reasonably modern ones which should work with adapters.  I really must have a proper sort through all the boxes of stuff from clearing my parents' house.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I have just tried registering an old Hub phone to a Smart Hub.  It will register but you cannot dial out and the phone prevents incoming calls as it seems to hold the line open even when there is no dial tone.  Unless there is some method of updating the firmware it isn't going to work.  I did make it work for incoming calls with a standalone DECT base station but it would not dial out.

0 Ratings