cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

OpenReach hoax calls

Go to solution

Received a call from Openreach today which seemed like a hoax, bumbling man called Max claiming I had a broadband issue and he could fix it.  The call was from 01204416832.    Ironically last week I had had a problem fixed by Openreach, begs the question whether the caller had access to the fault tracking database. 

Usually such callers ask for you to go to the CMD prompt and so on presumably eventually getting control of your laptop, I never let it get that far.  But this was different.

The caller was seemingly stalling for time, repeating questions, asking if I could hear him etc.   I have since changed the Admin password on my hub. 

Can anyone advise on what such a call could  mean regarding my security?  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: OpenReach hoax calls

Go to solution

As long as you didn't give him access to your computer there are no security implications.

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@dahgigmanwrote:

Received a call from Openreach today which seemed like a hoax, .........   Ironically last week I had had a problem fixed by Openreach, begs the question whether the caller had access to the fault tracking database. 

You didn't receive a call from Openreach of course - and as there are a vast amount of similar calls going on, the caller didn't have any access to the database and would be a pure coincidence.

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Oddly that is a number that rings - they don't usually.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Ok, I never tried to call it back.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I put it down to coincidence but thought it worth the heads up

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I didn't
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@gspearsonwrote:

Oddly that is a number that rings - they don't usually.

Indeed.

The range 01204 41 is allocated to Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Given that scammers' numbers are randomly spoofed, it follows that some will be active, whether by accident or design. So the fact that a number happens to ring when called is immaterial (except to the holder, who is liable to receive some confusing calls).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.