Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JetLag
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Ordering Digital Voice!

Hi all

Have just ordered an FTTP installation and noticed the only equipment being supplied is a Smart Hub 2.

I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that I would have Digital Voice installed at the same time and be supplied with an Advanced Digital Handset to connect with the DECT connection in the Smart Hub2! Just checked with BT and find that if I did this I would lose my number (being transferred to BT) and I would be issued with a new number!

The BT person said that I would have to keep my existing number using existing my copper connections.

Can anybody bring me up to speed on the Digital Voice situation.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Ordering Digital Voice!

@JetLag 

If you already have a copper landline, then you would need to keep it if you want to retain your number.

Digital Voice would always restrict you to using the Smart Hub 2, so it offers no advantages.

Is your number a BT one, issued by BT, as you mentioned about number transfer?

0 Ratings
JetLag
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi Keith, thanks for getting back to me.
I am currently with John Lewis Broadband for telephone and broadband. As JLB have a deal with BT I am able to move across to BT without any penalties for for early cancellation of the contract.
The number originally was organised by TalkTalk 6 years ago and I have always transferred it to whichever ISP I have been using!
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

You may possibly have an issue with the number.

Who originally issued you with your phone number, at you current property, perhaps before TalkTalk?

I am wondering if JLB are simply using the BT exchange equipment to provide the phone service, as some providers do? If that is the case, then retaining your number should not be a problem, as it would be owned by BT.

Its fairly easy to check which provider owns your phone number.

0 Ratings
JetLag
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Our house was a new build and we signed up with TalkTalk initially for telephone and broadband when we moved in.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@JetLag wrote:

Our house was a new build and we signed up with TalkTalk initially for telephone and broadband when we moved in.

Have BT guaranteed to keep your number, as I cannot see how that can be done, as the BT Exchanges have their own unique number ranges fixed in hardware?

Later service providers have far more flexibility, as they can do it all with software.

Talk Talk have their own equipment in some exchanges which provides the phone service with their own number ranges.

0 Ratings
JetLag
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

No guarantees from BT! They said that I will keep my existing number using the traditional copper wires but will call me the day after installation and to setup Digital Voice on my account and to order me an Advanced Digital phone!

We shall see!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

With Digital Voice, in theory, its should be easier to port numbers in from other providers, as all the routing is done within the core network, and does not involve the local exchange. How this is going to work in future, is anybody`s guess, but it happens with mobile phone networks, with very few exceptions.

Its probably not going to fully happen until the closure of the BT Exchange PSTN equipment, as alternative routing and extra equipment at the customer end is going to be needed, especially for phone only customers.

0 Ratings