cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Phone crackling

Go to solution

My phone is crackling badly. Plugged a corded phone in the test socket - same thing. If I pick up the phone the internet goes down. From reading posts this could be a wiring fault to our house or worn wiring in BT box but if not it's aan expensive call out. What is best?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Phone crackling

Go to solution

@abi73 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
BT provide everything
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Report the fault to 151

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@abi73 wrote:
BT provide everything

If you are getting the noise at the test socket, then the fault is external, and you would not be charged unless you had damaged the outside cable or broken the socket.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...

You can report the phone fault online, or ring BT on 0800 800 151.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
rang the automated line about the crackling 2 days ago. Said they'd test the line but heard nothing since. Will try that if you think it's best. Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

problem worse after engineer

Go to solution

Posted  question before about phone crackling broadband going off. After testing line with cord phone, community posts suggested it was external. Booked engineer. He said he'd done tests and it must be internal. Who am I to contradict? He found some corrosion in wires where they come into house and dealt with it. Put a new test socket and phone point junction in. He worked hard, but said all fixed. Drove away. Phone still crackling and internet going off all the time, especially if landline used. Have booked again but surely it' s an external problem?  It's certainly worse. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Re: problem worse after engineer

Go to solution

have you tried just using the test socket with a filter and see if that helps with line noise and broadband stability.  if new master probably the one that the front is just clipped on so unclip and test socket is visible.  also make sure front securely in place as that has caused problems with other posts

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I'll give it a try. The phone crackling had gone away before he came.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Doesn't seem to have made any difference. 

0 Ratings