cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Phone is now announcing a caller's number following change in calling plan

Go to solution

Hi,

A few days ago I had reason to query something on my mother's bill for her landline and whilst on the phone to customer services they pointed out that there maybe a better (newer) plan for her to be on.

She has been on an 'unlimited anytime plan' for years and was always mindful of not going over the 60 mins duration cap and also had an additional add-on of the 'friends and family mobile' plan.

The adviser said that if she moved to the 'unlimited minutes plan' there is no cap on call duration and mobiles are included in the plan as well. It was just over £1 dearer than what she was paying on the old plan so after chatting to her about it we decided to move her over onto the new 'unlimited minutes plan'.

I should say that at no point did the adviser or myself discuss the need for a call ID/monitoring/blocking service, she's never had, nor needed one.

She officially moved to the new plan yesterday and since then, every time she gets an incoming call, a disembodied voice announces the number of the caller which is also now appearing on the phone display.

From a quick search on the BT website I'm assuming this is something to do with BT Call Protect that now comes bundled with the new calling plan. She has no problem with the idea of seeing the number of the incoming call but doesn't want the voice reading it out to her each time.

Would someone be able to advise on how I disable the voice announcing the number, despite searching online, I can't seem to find how to do it ?

Many thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Phone is now announcing a caller's number following change in calling plan

Go to solution

@ttck 

Welcome to this user forum.

Which phone does she have, as I am not aware of any that announce the caller?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the welcome and quick reply 👍

The phone is a Panasonic KX-TG8561E

Nick

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

...actually @Keith_Beddoe , you saying you're not familiar with a phone that does that has put the thought in my mind that this is to do with the phone and not the caller plan as such. I've just searched on Youtube and there is a video showing how to disable 'talking caller ID' on Panasonic phones so will give that a go.

Sorry to waste your time.

Nick

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@ttck wrote:

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the welcome and quick reply 👍

The phone is a Panasonic KX-TG8561E

Nick

Its a new one on me.

You can remove the caller display feature by logging into MyBT and managing the landline features.

Untick the caller display option, and the feature should be turned off within 48 hours.

Meanwhile, this other option may also work, to turn it off right away.

dial #234#

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Please do let us know how you got on @ttck 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

OK many thanks @Keith_Beddoe  👍

She doesn't actually have a MyBT account or sign-in (she's 83) but I guess I could set her one up in her name if it may help with adjusting features on the new plan going forward.

Thanks again.

Nick

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @ttck, do set it up and post back to let us know if your find anything as I can't see how a change of calling plan would cause this.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks for the additional posts.

I've actually just managed to find the user manual for the phone and this so called 'talking caller ID'  feature is apparently set to ON by default, so I guess with the change to a calling plan that now includes caller ID, the phone is suddenly doing something it's never been able to do in the past 7 years lol.

Anyway, it's on page 28 of the manual and you have to turn it off individually for the handset and the base unit.

From the home screen, press the middle 'menu' button, type #162, it takes you to the 'Talking CID' sub-menu. Select OFF, then OK, (it then gives you the option of Handset or Base Unit), select Handset, then OFF, then OK, repeat for Base Unit.

I've just phoned the landline with my mobile and it's worked, no more voice 👍

Many thanks.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @ttck thanks for the update as it had me puzzled.

cheers

John

0 Ratings