cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Phone line to annexe

We have recently built an annexe for my wifes' elderly mother. She wants a phone line in the annexe.

I could run a extension cable from the main house, but this means the line will not be independent.

I will be running a cat5 cable to the annexe to extend the broadband, so wondering whether a VoIP service might be available to provide an independent telephony service?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Phone line to annexe

@PaulB3 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

BT provide both our phone and broadband service.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

@PaulB3 wrote:

BT provide both our phone and broadband service.

If you are on an FTTC or FTTP connection, you will eventually be moved over to BT Digital voice. This allows more than one outgoing connection to be made at the same time, however it would be using the same phone number, so that may not be the answer.

The other option would be VOIP, although the quality may not be that good, especially if the broadband connection is in use, as there would be no priority given to VOIP.

As for VOIP providers, you would have to look around to see what is available, and perhaps do a trial.

Skype is one possibility, and you can pay for calls to landline or mobile.

The other option would be to have a separate landline installed, just for calls. You could still extend the broadband over a separate cable.

https://www.bt.com/help/landline/learn-about-home-phone-saver-2020

0 Ratings