cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: Phone plugged into digital voice adapter works but does not ring.

Go to solution

It does not surprise me that CS did not know the answer, its a legacy issue that only people like myself, who have spent their whole working life on telephone systems, would be aware of the need for a "bell" wire. It goes back to the days of mechanical dial telephones (1960s)

I suspect that CS would only suggest that you buy a new phone from BT. A new DV is unlikely to be any better. I can see lots of people with older phone, having problems.

A simple adapter, with a capacitor inside, would solve the problem, but I doubt BT would bother. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

I have no idea of the age of the phones but safest to say they are not new! so probably are ten years old.

I have had a hunt around in various old BT router boxes and found a total of three filters, never had to use them as BT had so much trouble getting ADSL working here originally (ally cabling through village) that they put an ADSL faceplate on. Looks untidy with the filter but at least it works.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

from the adapter notes that @Keith_Beddoe posted BT were obviously aware that older phone of 10yrs or more could have problem with not ringing just as @Keith_Beddoe described.  It would have helped if BT had posted the solution as well

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

@imjollywrote:

from the adapter notes that @Keith_Beddoe posted BT were obviously aware that older phone of 10yrs or more could have problem with not ringing just as @Keith_Beddoe described.  It would have helped if BT had posted the solution as well

So our line has moved to DVA today and have plugged in adapter, paired it with router but phone won't ring.

Having read this thread looks like issue is phone being over 10 years old. Any tips as to what to look for in a new phone, just needs to be a basic phone as is not really used much. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

@smc78 

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Phone-plugged-into-digital-voice-adapter-wo...

Add a microfilter in the lead to the phone, as it has the components to enable the phone to ring.

Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78 

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/Phone-plugged-into-digital-voice-adapter-wo...

Add a microfilter in the lead to the phone, as it has the components to enable the phone to ring.

Tried that but phone still didn't ring 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

@smc78 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78 

Most microfilters have the extra component (capacitor), and provided the plug from the microfilter is plugged into the DVA socket, and the phone itself is plugged into the phone side of the microfilter, it should pass the ringing current onto the ring wire of the phone.

The broadband side of the microfilter is not used.

The only phones that may have an issue, are those with a mechanical bell inside, but these usually have a dial, which would not work anyway.

All modern phones should work just fine, as they only need two wires.

Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78 

Most microfilters have the extra component (capacitor), and provided the plug from the microfilter is plugged into the DVA socket, and the phone itself is plugged into the phone side of the microfilter, it should pass the ringing current onto the ring wire of the phone.

The only phones that may have an issue, are those with a mechanical bell inside, but these usually have a dial, which would not work anyway.

I will need to have another play about with it.

Should filter still be plugged into wall and then another with phone into adapter?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

@smc78 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78 

Should filter still be plugged into wall and then another with phone into adapter?

Yes, if you are on FTTC, you need both. One to act as an adapter to allow your home hub to connect to your phone socket, assuming you do not have a filtered socket.

The other one needs to plug into the socket on the DVA, and then the phone then plugs into the microfilter.

It may seem a bit unusual, but there is more to a microfilter than you realise.

Message 20 of 21

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78wrote:

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

@smc78 

Yes, if you are on FTTC, you need both. One to act as an adapter to allow your home hub to connect to your phone socket, assuming you do not have a filtered socket.

The other one needs to plug into the socket on the DVA, and then the phone then plugs into the microfilter.

It may seem a bit unusual, but there is more to a microfilter than you realise.

Well I tried putting filter on again and this time it worked, no idea why it didn't earlier. Thanks!!!