cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 23

Porting BT phone number

Has anybody managed to port their BT phone number to another VOIP provider without losing their BT FTTP Broadband service?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: Porting BT phone number

Further to the porting request I have just heard from BT that they are sorry I am leaving!! That is totally not the point - all I want to do is port the number. I certainly do not want to terminate the Broadband. All I am trying to do retain my phone number after DV migration. Has anybody else managed to succeed at this? It’s getting expensive as each migration attempt loses me the non refundable fee from the new VOIP provider.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

@Fumbledore 

Your phone number is linked to your account, so if you try to port your number out, then that would close your account.

Its treated as a request to move to another provider, that is why you get the leaving message. You cannot separate your number from your broadband service. That applies to all of BT Broadband services. 

If you were a new customer, and opted for a broadband only connection, then you would be free to use a VOIP provider, but you would have to use the number they gave you, you could not request a BT Retail number.

Why are you trying to port your number out, as what you are trying now, is likely to result in the permanent loss of your number, as if your service is ceased then re-provided, you will be given a new number, and your old number would be lost.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

I have been informed of the forthcoming migration of my phone to DV which after several calls to BT would have a negative affect on my Telephone and Broadband use as I do not use the BT hub for Broadband. Since BT now offer Broadband only availability, then it occurred to me the simple solution would be to port my number to a VOIP provider and then re-grade to Broadband only. Seems somehow it isn’t that simple - all I’m trying to do is keep my landline number which I have had for 30 years plus. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 23

@Fumbledore 

I cannot see any way you can keep your landline number. You will have to find a way of using the BT Smart Hub 2 as the primary router, and modifying your network to suit. You can turn of the  DHCP server on the home  hub, and use your own DHCP server to allocate lAN IP  addresses, as it the home hub DHCP server that seems to give most issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

Thank you for your reply. I have unfortunately come to the same conclusion. Are there any articles in existence from anybody who has successfully used their BT hub as a phone connection and still used their non-BT router to continue suppling their broadband connection?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

@Fumbledore wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I have unfortunately come to the same conclusion. Are there any articles in existence from anybody who has successfully used their BT hub as a phone connection and still used their non-BT router to continue suppling their broadband connection?

Yes, there are posts on this specific board, but you still have to use the BT Hub to provide PPPoE authentication, and NAT, so your own network has to come off a LAN port on the home hub.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 23

There was discussion on another forum on a similar theme, apparently it is possible to port a number to a VoIP provider without losing the broadband service that is associated with the phone number , in basic terms the ‘wholesale’ order type is a renumber and port , your current ‘line’ is simply renumbered to a random number ( which won’t be needed , but is there ) and the wanted number is ported to the VoIP provider, this maintains the broadband connection, but it’s the VoIP provider that ( as the instigator of the change ) that needs to arrange it, if your chosen VoIP provider either won’t, cannot or doesn’t know how to do this, that’s really an issue for them.
Message 9 of 23

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Fumbledore 

I cannot see any way you can keep your landline number.

There has to be a way going forward or there will be a lot of disgruntled customers out there.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 23

@licquorice wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Fumbledore 

I cannot see any way you can keep your landline number.

There has to be a way going forward or there will be a lot of disgruntled customers out there.

Its always been the same, even with the analogue phone network, if you port your number away, its assumed that you are moving to a new provider, and ceasing your BT retail service.

0 Ratings