cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 14

Re: Possible BT line on derelict property

If you are worried that you might not be able to get fibre, you should be aware that Openreach's website may not be completely accurate.

I've had BT FTTC for years. The village I live in is littered with green Openreach cabinets with stickers proudly proclaiming that “Superfast Fibre is here”, but if I type my address into the Openreach site, I get “We're sorry, our fibre products aren't available for you yet”.

Probably best to check with one of the providers.

Message 12 of 14

Thank you @iniltous 🙂

That bit "the potential issue is much more likely to be that you order service, an OR engineer cannot install because of the lack of lineplant, and OR retrospectively install the lineplant ." went over my head haha, sorry?

You mean lineplant as in laying a new cable?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 14

@grahamm1 

Ha yes I lived on the west coast of Scotland for a long time where they said fibe couldn't and wouldn't be installed in the near future yet a bunch of folk seemed to have it !  😕

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 14

No one has said anything about fibre, any obligation to provide service in the short term is premised on it being a copper pair, potentially from a cab that has FTTC and the distance from the property to it being short enough to benefit, so FTTC may be available , it’s unlikely that FTTP will be available.

Lineplant is just a term for underground and overhead equipment ( ducts, cable, dropwires etc ), depending on how the property was serviced previously ( overhead or underground ) then the original method may be reinstated....however, it’s likely that if you raise an order , because the address is  ‘matched’ to existing lineplant , then the order goes through, and even if you ( assuming you place the order in person rather than on line ) point out that extra work may be required, the chances are the customer service rep falsely reassures that it will be OK on the day, but the OR tech turns up, discovers work is required and passes to OR survey/planning to come up with a solution, that’s where the potential delay could be, on the other hand , the previous service may  be serviceable and easy to reinstate ( assuming whoever told you the property had service previously was correct )

Its not that unusual orders failing like this, imagine a ‘regular’ property that had ‘BT’ service in the past but has used a cable provider for the last decade, and the ‘cable’ service installer cut the BT service off, saying you will never need this again....new occupant moves in , doesn’t want to use ‘cable’ but an Openreach    based provider...obviously when the OR installer turns up there may well be a delay as the existing cut cable is no longer any good and replacing it needs more work than the installer can deliver.

Only if the property is quite remote from any existing OR lineplant and has never had service before would excess construction charges be a worry.