cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Possible scam call from BT- or was is genuine?

Go to solution

Hi,

Just looking for reassurance really.

A relative had a call purporting to be from BT.  They knew his name, address and email address.

They told him there was a fault on his line, he thinks they mentioned about something blocking it. But they asked which devices he used in the property. He said mainly his mobile but he had a laptop. They asked him to go on his laptop as they said it needed "a bigger more stable device than a phone".

Luckily he couldn't find the laptop!

The person is calling back this afternoon but I have told him not to answer.

BT is NOT his provider.

They sent him an email which has made him adament its a genuine call. The email does look very good. Includes a pin number and has his email address starred out - this is the only bit that makes me wonder if there is any element of it being true?

At the same time, I'd rather dismiss a genuine call than him get into a scam. However, I would have presumed it would be his Internet provider that would contact if there were any issues, or he would experience problems?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Possible scam call from BT- or was is genuine?

Go to solution

It's a scam, why on earth would BT ring someone that isn't their customer

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

It is a scam.

The email will be genuine if he is using a BT email address.

To get the email sent, the scammers use the "forgotten password" link when trying to log into your relative's email account. As part of the process for forgotten passwords, it will generate a PIN number that is sent to his email account or the alternative email account or a text to his mobile phone depending on what he has listed for use when you use that link. When you have the pin number you use that to be able to change the password and log onto the email account.

The scammers appear genuine because they tell you they have sent a PIN to you and hey presto the email appears so you accept they are genuine and give them the PIN number. By doing that you have now given them the keys to the kingdom. They can enter the email account, change the password locking the owner out while they go about their business stealing the information they need to get access to bank accounts etc.

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks.

And yes, which is what originally raised the red flag in me - he isn't their customer.

He then mentioned they'd said about them owning all the lines etc and so I didn't know if they were BTOpenreach - he has early Alzheimers so the story can get muddled, but again, I still didn't belive the story. It's hard to get relatives to listen when they believe something else - seeing other people's responses helped him see it wasn't me being over dramatic.

As I say I told him not to pick up when they called back, which he did listen to thankfully.

🙂

Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for this and it explains a lot. This was the only thing that made me wonder why or if it maybe wasn't a scam (but I'd still rather have aired on the side of caution!). However this answer solves a lot of questions and has put my mind at ease that we did the right thing. He has Alzheimers and can be gullible, but also hard to argue with if he thinks he is right - answers like this help show him I'm not being overly dramatic! Much appreciated you taking the time to explain!
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

If you work on the principle that all unsolicited calls are a scam, you won't go far wrong.

Sad indictment of today's society, but unfortunately true.

0 Ratings