cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Power battery after Digital Voice

Go to solution

Hope this is the correct forum.If not please move it and let  me know where to find it.

BT are activating Digital Voice on my line on Monday.I would like to buy a  back-up battery incase  it's needed for emergency calls during a  power cut.I have Smart Hub2.

My handset for my landline is not a BT phone so I don't know if the connections will fit.

Are connections universal on handset(where they connect to the rest).

Also where can I buy a backup battery?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Power battery after Digital Voice

Go to solution

Your current landline phone that is plugged into you existing master socket or extension will now plug into the green socket on the back of the Smart Hub 2, if that's what you have been supplied with.

If that is not convenient then you can get one free DV adapter which can be pared up with the Smart Hub and then that get be put in another room's power socket and you existing phone plugged into its BT phone socket.

Others here will help with a power supply.

Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Any standard corded phone will plug into the phone socket in the SH2 , if you are fearful of needing to call the emergency services during a power cut and haven’t got a mobile phone , a simple search of the term battery back up or uninterruptible power supply will find what you need ( links to commercial sites not allowed ) , the UPS/BBU plugs into the mains , your router connects to the UPS/BBU , if the mains fail the UPS/BBU kicks in to power the router for a period of time .

Obviously if you are so concerned about power cuts , you presumably already have a corded landline phone  rather than a cordless DECT phone as these mains powered cordless phones won’t work in a power cut , even if you could stay on PSTN and not be moved to DV .

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Mariab   Have a look in the EE(BT) shop. https://store.ee.co.uk/products/cyberpower-back-up-for-bt-digital-voice-service--smart-hub--115476-H...

I should add, make sure that you buy the free ONT bundle even if you don’t have full fibre yet!

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
Thank you very much.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution
Thank you verymuch.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

It appears BT/EE are in process of upgrading UPS to provide back up for longer

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/08/bt-prep-advanced-battery-backup-for-uk-phone-and-broad...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Just had a look at the EE store and there is one back upbattery for BT Smart Hub and one for Openreach ONT and SmartHub.I looked at both and Openreach ONT does have a free bundle as you stated.

Not sure it would work on ours as we have never heard of Openreach ONT,Ours is a Smart Hub ad we are all fibre .

Sorry to ask what must be glaringly obvious questions but we are not in the least technically minded.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Hi @Mariab   If you have BT Full Fibre (FTTP) then you have an Openreach ONT. If you have Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) then your Smart Hub 2 connects to a telephone socket. To future proof yourself for Full Fibre get the free Openreach ONT backup. The difference is FTTP the SH2 connects to the ONT, and with FTTC the SH2 connects to your telephone socket .

Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

if full fibre then you have ONT looks like this

ont-pon.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.