cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Problems encountered with advent of Digital Voice

Go to solution

Having recently been transferred by BT to Digital Voice, (DV) I thought it would be a good idea to warn others of problems this has raised, as BT failed to notify of such consequences of the switch to DV. 

1. We have had the BT 8600 cordless telephone Answering Machine System for well over a year(?) working without problems, all recorded messages awaiting for us when we returned home with flashing green light on base to notify us of said calls.   Once we were switched to DV this facility was removed and we had no knowledge until family/friends contacted us by other means, (mobile phone etc) to query why we had failed to return their calls.   MAJOR FAILURE BY BT! It is one of their own systems yet they failed to warn customers of this loss of facility/failure of their product.

2. Prior to DV we had the luxury of 4 phones in our home, 3 BT 8600 cordless phones located in (a) hall, (base station) connected to Openreach Box in hall, (b) living room, and (c) office upstairs,  together with a landline in the bedroom which worked during power cuts, (quite a few of late) this gave great peace of mind.  Since DV we have lost the landline safety back up, so a power cut means no phone! 

3. Reduction in quality of service inasmuch that since DV there is an occasional hiss on line during conversation, also occasionally an echo of one's conversation whilst talking, like a mobile to mobile in poor area?

Hope the above is of some information to others so they are aware of potential reduction in service by BT!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Problems encountered with advent of Digital Voice

Go to solution

I already posted a solution to you message recording on your 8600 so have you tried that?

This problem has already been posted and the solution is as above

Did you get a free DV phone?  If not I would phone CS 150 or 0800800150 from mobile and request a free phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply, and no, it did not work. It is obviously, one presumes, a fault on my part but we have had enough today, we will pursue the problem tomorrow perhaps.

You have also missed the point raised, I wished to inform/advise other customers that if they too have the same BT 8600 system in their homes that their answering phone system will no longer work when switched to DV. So, I am grateful to you (and others that may follow) with offering solutions to that problem caused by switching to DV, but I say again, BT FAILED TO ADVISE THEIR CUSTOMERS THAT SWITCHIING TO DV WOULD RENDER THEIR OWN (BT PRODUCTS) USELESS WITHOUT HAVING TO MAKE ADAPTIONS AND FAILED TO ADVISE WHAT THOSE ADAPTIONS WERE!

I rest my case.  

Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
Further to my reply just posted, I should hasten to ad that I do not live in a digital world, I live in a real world, I go online when it suits me, (I pay the bill!) so I am now logging off on my laptop, I may turn it on again tomorrow if I find the time but it may be Tuesday, however I am and always will be grateful for help/advice offered.
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Not moving to DV will cause bigger issues mind, once the PSTN is switched off in a few years time, DV will be the only option or no voice service at all.
It has its pro's and con's, we'll all get used to it eventually, not every 3rd party device will work as it once did, BT will supply 1 Alexa device free or 2 Essential phones free for customers though.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@JohnMutley_65 wrote:
Further to my reply just posted, I should hasten to ad that I do not live in a digital world, I live in a real world, I go online when it suits me, (I pay the bill!) so I am now logging off on my laptop, I may turn it on again tomorrow if I find the time but it may be Tuesday, however I am and always will be grateful for help/advice offered.

I don't know why solution worked for another customer and not you  maybe when you find time you can try again ensuring DV is set to 10 rings and 8600 set to a lesser number

The digital world  is already here 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Situation is still status quo.    We have sought assistance from neighbours (unfortunately not BT customers, they are virgin and sky respectively) but they are not impressed. Guess we will have to learn to live with this for the moment, we are currently viewing options to switching to another provider, plusnet currently seems to be the best value for money.

I have this morning tried to do online chat with BT because online message on my account states Broadband discount ending soon, so following online prompts it eventually comes up onscreen advising our account is currently fibre 2, (I wish it still was) so went onto chat to query this, I was 36 out of 40 in a queue being reviewed after every 2 mins, now down to 8 but am fed up with such poor service so logging off for a cuppa!

Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

@JohnMutley_65 

All providers have to cease the analogue phone service, and go digital, even Plusnet.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks for that info, guess I'll have to dig my semaphore flags out of the loft but there will be no one to understand them.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
Further to my earlier reply, still do not understand why BT tell me my account is fibre 2 when they switched me to DV on 15th December?
0 Ratings