cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Question about my fibre and digital voice switchover

Hi all,

so I’ve been sent an email and a letter that I will be switching over to digital voice soon and will be notified when my switch over date will be.

I am FTTC, and was wondering if they switch my phone line of how will my fibre broadband work? As both use the copper wire into my house ( I’ve had problems before, that when there was no dial tone on my phone due to issues at the exchange that my fibre would play up as well) any way I actually don’t need my land line and would like to switch over to a broadband only plan which I now have the opportunity to do.

my only worry is, that if they switch off my land line will my fibre continue as normal? I would have thought so otherwise, why would they say I’m going to be switched over.

the copper wire issue just worries me but it’s great I don’t have to have my landline anymore.

anyone had the same issue or any info on how  my fibre will continue to work would be much appreciated 

thank you

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Question about my fibre and digital voice switchover

Voice and broadband are entirely independent of each other. If you are moved to Digital Voice but still have FTTC, it will have no impact on your broadband.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

You would need a new contract for broadband only but remember you still need to pay line rental just you will no longer be able to make or receive calls on your landline

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Thanks for the reply’s 

so even if they switched me over to digital voice and I decided just to turn my landline phone off and not plug it into my SH2 that this won’t affect my internet?

I know I’d be paying for digital voice but I just wouldn’t be using it.

that’s why I’ll probably change to a broadband only package as they are slightly cheaper

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

As already posted whether you use DV or not will have no affect on your broadband connection

You would need a new contract to change to broadband only

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

To make it easier to understand,  although both your broadband and phoneline are served to you over a copper line to the house, your broadband is served from the cabinet through copper (it is fibre to the cabinet, hence FTTC). It is not copper all the way to the exchange unlike your phone line.

So you should now understand why it won't affect your BB connection. All that is happening with the switch is the copper from the exchange is being turned off for phone lines.

Does that help?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

Yes, I didn’t think of it like that, cheers.

if anything would it make my fibre connection stronger and more stable then?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

@Raj1015 wrote:

Yes, I didn’t think of it like that, cheers.

if anything would it make my fibre connection stronger and more stable then?

Over time, it could make it less stable, as there would be no voltage on the line to break down any high resistance connections, especially if you already have problems with the home hub disconnecting from broadband. 

The long term solution is FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Mmmm, what is a high resistance connection?

I did think it could cause problems if my phone line is switched off.

then why is DV being pushed out if people are going to have disconnections when they are on FTTC?

I would rather leave as is but I don’t have a choice as this a national roll out.

0 Ratings