cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Random dialling of 123

I’m being charged every month random calls to 123 at 50p a call. I do not make these calls but BT having difficulty working it out. They refund it but just a nuisance. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Random dialling of 123

@Johnss24 

A fault on your phone line can cause this.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Don’t think so. Never use landline for calls only for broadband I have it. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Engineer was meant to come today but he’s stumped! He told me to do the 170 thing while he was on phone but all ok he said.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Johnss24 wrote:
Engineer was meant to come today but he’s stumped! He told me to do the 170 thing while he was on phone but all ok he said.

Then an intermittent fault on your phone line connection is the most likely cause. I assume you have just tried that, and you first got an announcement of your phone number, then you selected option 2, (Quiet Line Test), and listened for any noise for about five minutes.

123 can be generated by wires coming in contact with each other, or in contact with another pair of wires. This usually affects overhead connections from a pole.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Do you even have a handset connected? If not, maybe that would help ?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

No I do have handset connected. Just don’t use it for calls. Engineer found lines touching in box at end of road so hoping it’s fixed. 

0 Ratings