Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 14

Re: Caller display

@TonyGamblewrote:

If 154 is a fake why are BT printing it on the back of my line invoice?

Why did the man I spoke to know one of the other support team I spoke to in April?

Spoofed. Prank. Scam.

Tell me more pompey

@TonyGamblewrote:

If 154 is a fake why are BT printing it on the back of my line invoice?

Why did the man I spoke to know one of the other support team I spoke to in April?

Spoofed. Prank. Scam.

Tell me more pompey

I Googled it, you try

0 Ratings
TonyGamble
Beginner
Message 12 of 14

I have registered with the Business Forum now.

I worry about the infequency of posts - but maybe the problems are infrequent as well !!

Nothing much about caller ID either - but I'll monitor the forum.

Can't see why that chappie got so het up with me using 154. Is he a regular around here?

0 Ratings
aam
Contributor
Message 13 of 14

Please don’t take it personally. I think it was just a response based on observations previously seen about spoofing. However, it may often feel like you’re getting moaned at, or gently redirected elsewhere, especially if you ask a question here that should have gone to a different provider.

BT Business was separated from BT Consumer, for better or worse, a number of years ago so they now are a separate provider in their own right. So the residential is nothing to do with business and vice versa. It’s therefore not obvious to many users here what contact phone numbers and procedures have to be followed by BT Business users.

Putting it another way, asking something about BT Business services here is often seen almost like a Sky, Vodafone, EE (even though a BT Group company), Plusnet (also another BT Group company) or Talktalk, etc, customer coming here and asking BT Residential customers for help instead of going to their own provider. Similarly customers of various providers often come here to ask Openreach related questions instead of going via their own provider. 

BTW: The BT Business forum is very quiet compared to here as the content on this and other user-to-user based help forums are highly dependent on having an active community of users (with help from the staff when needed) that are knowledgeable and willing to spend their time to help other users. So a big thank you to everyone that spends their time helping out here. 

TonyGamble
Beginner
Message 14 of 14

Thanks aam.

All potentially confusing - but not of your doing or of the other helpers around here.

I have a variety of hobbies. Photography in particular. When people ask me which brand of hardware or software they should use I offer two suggestions. Pick something a chum uses so you can pester them for help. Pick something with a good active user group.

For all the bad things the internet can be blamed for one of the good things is access to help. I have just bought some seemingly complicated cordless phones. When the 'manual' defeats me I know a question on Google will help and then probably a forum will source out other users. Thirty years ago that would have been totally impossible. Almost  all my technical expertise has come from one forum or another.

I got in a real mess with BT as I had a business contract and a domestic one. The former was because I needed a Static IP and the latter was the continuation of my bog standard land line phone needs. I was in the process of renewing my broadband and the sales lady suggested I migrated my domestic landlines to the business contract. We then had lock down and somehow the phone line to my security alarm got abandonned. My file of notes talking to India, the Philippines, Scotland and Ireland must be an inch thick now.

None of which is relevant to getting the caller ID to work - but intended as an endorsement to say thanks for the help you folk give on this particular forum. Well done. It is invaluable. If my caller ID is not live by tomorrow I will (a) call them and (b) put in a cry for help on the Business forum.

"Wish me Luck as you wave me Goodbye."

Tony

0 Ratings