cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 36

Re: Confusion about land line and Digital Voice

Trying to be ahead of changes , re landline, My hub 6 does not have a phone socket anywhere ? What will be my options, I have 3 wireless handsets one as a base unit. Will i be forced int buying new phones, would an ATA box work for me 

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36

You will be supplied with a Smart Hub2 when you are converted to DV. You simply plug your existing base station into its phone socket.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 36

Liquorice: you do seem to be very knowledgeable concerning landline / digital voice. I’m just surprised that in a post some time back you said that landlines don’t work during a power cut which is not correct. Unless in my power cut hotspot i have a magic phone since recently during one of our multitudinous power outs it was my only means of making a call.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 36

Digital Voice does not work in a power cut unless you have a backup power supply. No idea what phone you were using but it wasn't via Digital Voice.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 36

@ChrisGee 

The UK is moving to Digital based landlines, referred to names such as Digital Voice, VoIP or Internet Calls.

This service runs over your internet connection and needs your broadband equipment to be running to allow the phone service to work.

In an event such as a power cut you'll either need to have an alternative method of making a call such as a mobile phone or a way of continuing to power your broadband connection and home phone.

There are solutions available to allow you to make calls in a powercut such as a battery backup unit, hybrid phone or using a mobile.

BT offer battery backup units or hybrid phones. If you give customer services a call they can go through these with you along with more information on BT's Digital Voice service. 0330 1234 150

https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice?s_cid=con_FURL_digitalvoice

OFCOM'S guidance: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/future-of-landline-calls

Also remember that DECT cordless phones require power to them too whereas corded phones generally draw power from the line or unit it's connected to.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 36

Licqorice: i was talking aboug a landline.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 36

PSTN landlines work in a power outage at the customers address , DV ‘landlines’ generally don’t work during a power outage at a customer’s address , obviously PSTN ‘lines’ working as they have done for over 100 years is hardly news , whereas the migration to DV , and it’s ( in some people’s opinion ) inferior design ( as far as resilience ) is newsworthy, and obviously some people are ( in my opinion ) needlessly worried, or massively overstating the impact it will have for the overwhelming majority and chose to ignore the mitigation available ( like BBU/UPS ) for those with a genuine concern.

Perhaps you can provide a link to the individual post you claim states DV landlines work in a power outage as it’s unlikely that any claim that DV works  ( without the necessary mitigation such as a battery backup , power supply ) was ever made , it’s much more likely you have misinterpreted whatever was posted.

Message 8 of 36

@ Iniltous Not being a telecoms expert (I don’t need to be presumably)  the landline i was referring to is clearly from the Victorian  era but it has worked during the multitude of power outages we suffer in this area. A previous poster a Sage / Guru commented that landlines didn’t work during a powercut. It was that comment i was responding to. Hope that clears up the basis of  my comment?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 36

@iniltous Just to clarify, i didn’t actually say that DV phones work during a power cut since i’m well aware that they don’t without a back up power source. I used the phrase ‘landline’ as i understand that to be the understood term for the old copper system.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 36

@ChrisGeewrote:

A previous poster a Sage / Guru commented that landlines didn’t work during a powercut. It was that comment i was responding to. Hope that clears up the basis of  my comment?

Hi @ChrisGee   Please reference this post, so we can see if your remark is true. 

0 Ratings