cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Re: Digital Voice FAQs

It seems Digital Voice from BT can only be used with the supplied Smart Hub 2. I have my own router and mesh system in my home, and it is configured and works well. It is working fine with our new BT FTTP 900 service and I have no desire to downgrade and install the BT-supplied "Smart Hub 2".  From a search on the internet there does not appear to be any way to put the SH2 into a passthrough or DMZ mode. Nor can I incorporate it downstream from my own router. I do not want to use it unless it can be configured to ensure there is no double NAT issue in our home network. Clearly we are not alone in the desire to use our own router and home mesh system, even if in a minority. It is a pity that BT does not allow better control options in the SH2 or offer a stand-alone Digital Voice adaptor for situations where the SH2 is not wanted.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Nothing preventing you having broadband from BT without voice capability and VoIP from a third party provider.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

That's what I will do, and hopefully port over my BT phone number that we've had for 14 years. In reality the landline phone (ancient terminology I know) is really not needed, but if BT wants to keep any revenue stream from voice services it seems they should have a solution for people who want to use their own router....

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Having just completed a help call (online chat) with BT, makes interesting reading...

My question was based around if using BT broadband (FTTP in my case) and the future of moving to VOIP, would the end user be able to use their own third part router, or would they be forced to use BT Smart hub 2 as it's the only one that supports BT Digital Voice.
I did also say that the reason for the question was in part my enquiry to OFCOM as they state that end users (clients) must be able to use their own terminal equipment, and in broadband fibre terms this is anything after the ONT. and OFCOM suggested first asking the supplier.

The reply I got was "yes you can use 3rd party router to use BT Broadband and BT Digital voice services.  However the 3rd party router that you will be using should be compatible with digital voice calling VOIP.  Our BT Smart hub 2 is compatible to use digital voice"

I then asked "So any third party router with the VOIP feature will be able to use BT Digital voice, is there any info needed other than the standard email/password we use now for third party router"

Reply - "No, once the router is configured with 3rd party settings and has active broadband working on it.  That will be ready for Digital voice"

So, is all this wrong?
Anyone asked similar questions?

Also anyone have a few names of Router with the VOIP feature ?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

I think the helpdesk, does not have a clue, and it just making it up. The Smart Hub 2 is part of the security mechanism which guarantees the origin of the call, unlike many other VOIP solutions.

Message 6 of 9

I am not aware of any third party routers that replicate the BT digital voice capability. It seems BT, by not allowing the SH2 to be put into a passthrough mode, is forcing people to either use the SH2 for home network routing or signing up to another VOIP provider. I have no problem having the SH2 in my system but it is not going to replace my router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

So is my assumption correct then that BT (and not just BT) are forcing users to use their own branded terminal equipment blocking out third party end user equipment?

Note:  I know we do not have to move to VOIP at the moment, but if they do anyway with copper then we have no choice.

The OFCOM Reference I was reading and talked to OFCOM about is here:  Section 2 net Neutrality.
ofcom-approach-net-neutrality.pdf

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

If you want to use their Digital Voice service, I have not found any option to using the BT-supplied router. My non-BT router and WiFi mesh system is working well in my home with BT FTTP service but I am unable to use the DV service with my setup. First world problems, I know...
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@Dave-Helston wrote:

Note:  I know we do not have to move to VOIP at the moment, but if they do anyway with copper then we have no choice.

Copper is not the problem or the reason. Its the analogue PSTN equipment at the other end which is being ceased.

Copper cables are going to be with us for a very long time, as FTTP is never going to be viable in many locations. There are plenty of FTTC customers who would not have a connection without copper/aluminium cables. Openreach are not going remove all their FTTC cabinets, and replace them with fibre nodes.

There are also ADSL customers which need copper to connect to the broadband equipment in the exchange, even after the PSTN equipment is disconnected.

ADSL is the only option for many customers.

0 Ratings