cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: Gold / Silver issue

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2 - how do we report a wrong address in BT, Openreach or otherwise?

Over 2 years ago each and every one of the addresses had a different way of identifying my flat.

So in an atttempt to make this consistent, I figured out the web of responsibility. Different databases are responsible for different parts of your address:

1. The legal root of all addresses in the UK is the Land Registry. At the beginning of this process, it was the only one that was correct. The address is on the title deed.

2. The council is responsible for your building number, road name and the flat identifier, so I queried them to change my address to be consistent with the Land Registry and they obliged. You will need to contact your council directly, and your council tax MUST be the correct address.

3. Royal Mail is not at all responsible for any address data - just postcodes. So once the council and Land Registry were consistent, they happily obliged to change the flat identifier as they have to. You can check Royal Mail's address data directly at: https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode 

At this point, the flat identifier, legal deed and most used address database are all consistent and correct and it should be the case that all other address databases 'trickle down' from these 3 main databases.

After a year passed, this was not the case, with one particularly thorny database: Openreach. So I researched a bit more.

4. DCMS mandate ISPs to use another database who's only extra datapoint is the Unique Property Reference Number (UPRN). This database is run by GeoPlace, a tentacle of Ordnance Survey and you can check their database at: https://www.findmyaddress.co.uk/ - they checked with the council and realised their error and updated their database. In December, the latest release of address data was released, at which point all ISPs must update their data.

This hasn't happened. It turns out there's a fifth database, a completely redundant, useless and one that has absolutely no responsibility for anything, which is the Openreach NAD. The NAD can only be changed by installing a new line, which despite the concept of a 'line' being made redundant in  lieu of FTTP, forcing a consumer to have to pay for a new provisioning just to update the address of an existing address.

Therefore can you outline what the process is exactly for me to force Openreach to update their NAD without reordering anything?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Go to solution

@zzing123 

Are you still a BT Retail customer, as BT can only request updates for their customers. If you are currently a customer with another provider, then you need to contact them.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@zzing123wrote:

Hi @JohnC2 - how do we report a wrong address in BT, Openreach or otherwise?

Your CP (Communication Provider) would contact Openreach and raise an ORDI (Openreach Data Integrity), if you're a BT customer you can call 0800 800 150 and speak with the 'Connections' team.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

BT Business customer.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
I have. Nothing happened.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

As a business user you need to post here. https://business.forums.bt.com/

This is a residential forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

You would need to call 0800 800 152 for BT Business, which is why you are not making any progress.

0 Ratings