cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Re: Keeping existing number when switching to digital voice (OFCOM)

Go to solution

I was told I could, then after, many, many calls, told I should never have been told that I could keep my old number. I gave up after a month trying to get my own number back. The knowledge of the sales teams is woefully poor on this point and having to explain everytime you call, what it is you are asking for, is soul destroying.  Even though I was assured it was being added to my notes, it clearly never was.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Go to solution

I'm just guessing here, but it may depend on who 'owned'  the number originally. It may be that only numbers originally owned by BT can be retained on DV and not numbers ported from other suppliers.

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

It was a BT number, moved to Plusnet for 6 years, as one person told me "we own them, so that won't be an issue" - I know there are reasons why some can't be transferred and I have no issue with that, in fact I wasn't even expecting to be given a number once I moved back to BT, but on discovering I was being given a DV "line" anyway, I thought may as well keep the number. It was the "of course you can do that" from so many advisors followed by a "no you can't and should never have been told you could" that annoyed me. I was given a bill credit, so that's fair enough, but I do think they need to take a bit more care about what they tell customers about the porting of numbers.

Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@SRB 

If the number was originally issued by BT Retail, have you asked for a renumber back to your original number, as your original number would just be a "stopped" line at the moment? There is normally a small charge for a re-number.

This could not be done originally, but should be possible now.

Message 5 of 14

Go to solution
Yes, I tried that, was told it could not be done.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @SRB, sorry that you have been given conflicting information re getting your previous number back on the Digital Voice service.

I can't guarantee that it will be possible, as your request may have already been fully explored, but we'll be happy to check it has if you get in touch with us. I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us and we'll check with the Digital Voice team if it is possible.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Hi @SRB 

Thank you for taking the time to chat with me over private message today.

As advised, it isn't possible to retain your number on Digital Voice when you move your services over to us.  As agreed, I'll go ahead and close this off from here.

All the best,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Are you able to check that our number will be kept when the transfer happens please? We are also getting conflicting information and we need to know if the number will definitely be kept or not.

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@JS12  When I had to change to DV my existing number was retained, I think that is standard as the text I received said there was no change of number or calling plans.

The only difference is that the whole number including code needs to be used, so it is worth telling any local contacts you have or they will get the "number not recognised" announcement.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

@Bob1001 

This is not just a BT customer being moved to DV like you this a porting number problem @JS12  is moving ISP from utility warehouse to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings