Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nevalti
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 31

Re: No More BT Landline?

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem.

My Smarthub2 was installed on 15/12/2020 and the phones have not worked since then. I have called BT twice (that's about an hour of my life wasted so far) but promises to fix it 'today' were not fulfilled.

Has anyone solved this problem or do I also have to waste more hours on the phone to BT?

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 31

Go to solution

do you have FTTP - fibre to your home?

if you go to hub manager is your phone number visible and if so is it greyed out?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nevalti
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 31

Go to solution

The hub-manager shows a greyed out box containing an image of a phone together with the words, "Not Configured".

BT phone not configured.png

The phone was previously working via Virgin but that was cut off shortly after BT installed the new router. I have called BT twice but, despite promises, they don't seem to have done anything which helps. 

It is unclear to me whether I need to configure something or if BT need to.  A second issue is that they installed a cable which combined both FTTP and a copper connection but they did not connect the copper inside my house. They provided two Wi-Fi phones instead. The engineer synced the Wi-Fi phones to the hub but they do not work. The phones display a message saying, "No voice service on the hub".

Plugging my old phones into the hub does not work. It seem that I have fallen down a gap between two technologies.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 31

Go to solution

if you have FTTP then phone FTTP TEAM and see if they can help you sort out your DV phone connection 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Nevalti
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 31

Go to solution

Thanks for that. 

After another 38min wait on the phone, they now tell me that the problem is that 'the computer' tried to allocate my Virgin phone number to me before Virgin released my number. 

Given that Virgin cancelled my phone 6 days ago and I have twice before been told that they would fix the problem, "today", which didn't happen, I am not filled with confidence.

The call-centre chap I spoke to today was less confident in their efficiency and said, "it will be fixed in a few days". So much for the '15 minutes' activation time it says on the BT web-site.

Fingers crossed it will be ready for the usual Christmas calls (4 days to go). If they don't fix it within a few days, I will post here again to relate the sorry tale in case it is of use to others.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 31

Go to solution

@Nevalti 

Its very unlikely you will be able to port your Virgin number to BT Retail. Its been tried by many people, they are two totally different phone networks.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Transfer-of-old-telephone-number-to-BT/td-p/2120652

Nevalti
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 31

Go to solution

After my 38 minute phone call yesterday, I got a BT email saying, "As we mentioned when you spoke with us, your service will start by midnight on 21-Dec-2020".

It is now 22-Dec-2020 and, surprise, surprise ......... nothing has changed. Their email also said, "Please don't reply to this email, we won't see it" - so I am committed to wasting more hours hanging on the telephone - OR - I could just ignore it and do without a land-line phone. Three BT staff have told me that I will be charged nothing  for Broadband until I have confirmed that the phone is working.

Perhaps I should just ignore the fault and get broadband for free. Indefinitely???

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 31

Go to solution

@Nevalti 

If you need a phone connection, the only way forward would be for BT to give you a new phone number, one which is owned by BT. I expect that customer services do not understand the issue.

0 Ratings
Nevalti
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 31

Go to solution

That may be the problem but I am not yet convinced. This is not an unusual situation.

Each time I talked to BT about this, I explained that (1) MY number originated from BT, (2) I subsequently ported it to Virgin and (3) I now want to port it back to BT. The response in all cases was 'no problem'. 

IF they could not port MY number back from Virgin, there would be no reason for them to wait until Virgin stopped using MY number until BT activated my new service. They could simply have given me a new number. 

My guess is that that the automated number transfer system simply did not work, perhaps because the BT computer tried to grab the number from the Virgin computer before it had been taken out of service. It now needs a human being at BT to over-rule the computer, manage the process and press the right buttons. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 31

Go to solution

If you are 100% sure your number  is owned by BT, then the problem may be that you have  BT Digital Voice, whereas the original connection was a physical copper pair back to the exchange and connected to the local concentrator.

I am not sure if BT can move numbers that exist only on the local exchange, over to BT Digital Voice.

If the number was owned by BT, and then ported to Virgin, then once its ceased by Virgin, it would return back to BT, on the local exchange.

Are you living at the same address as you were, when BT first issued your number?

If you do need to confirm the owner of your number, then that can be easily checked.

0 Ratings