cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Registered for Telephone Preference Service - But Still Getting Called

We moved in to this house over 9 years ago, registered with the Telephone Preference Service as soon as we knew what our number would be, (always been same number), and have always been ex-directory.

For many years we never got any unwanted calls of any type. However, more recently - at a guess, the past 6-9 months or so - we have been getting some. Firstly, it was someone about a Government scheme for loft and wall insulation. I mentioned to them that we are registered with TPS and should they be calling us - to which they apologised and ended the call, only to call back a month or so later with the same response from me, and yet another call from them at a later date. I'm sure from the sound of the voice, that it is the same person!

Today, and what prompted this question, I took a call from a company doing market research. When I said that we are registered with TPS and asked where they got our number from, they said that because they were not trying to sell me anything the TPS did not apply to them, (?), and because they dialled blocks of numbers randomly, (ie I wasn't specifically selected), TPS also did not apply, (?).

I thought that any company that wanted to cold call people had to check every number that they called against the TPS list to ensure that they did not call anyone who had "opted out".

Can anyone advise I the companies calling me are breaking the law, or have I misunderstood how TPS works?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Registered for Telephone Preference Service - But Still Getting Called

Just to add that all calls appear to originate from the UK - not overseas.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

TPS only applies to Live Sales or Marketing calls.

The TPS website FAQ explains:   "Does the TPS stop all unwanted calls? No. Our remit only covers live unsolicited sales or marketing calls. We can’t prevent other call types, such as recorded/automated messages, silent calls, market research, overseas companies, debt collection, scam calls, nuisance and abusive calls, and so on."

So a company that wants to speak to you, but is not trying to Sell or Market products or services, is able to call you without referring to the TPS register.

Message 4 of 8

@Paul608085wrote:

Can anyone advise I the companies calling me are breaking the law, or have I misunderstood how TPS works?

Yes, and a little bit as the other poster has said.

The ones like "loft insulation" are scams, as are a lot of calls you are probably getting. They might look like they come from UK numbers, but virtually all of them have been spoofed by internet dialling systems.

Scammers don't care about the TPS because they hardly ever get caught - and call numbers at random, or sometimes target certain areas or blocks of numbers.

Just because you are ex-directory (and TPS) doesn't mean anyone can't call you ...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

@grahamm1 @Andy_N 

Thanks both for the replies.

I did look at the TPS website, but only the "What is TPS" page, which mentions "marketing" calls - I didn't make the distinction between "market research" and "marketing". I didn't see the FAQ page under the Information drop down 😞

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@Paul608085wrote:

"appear" is the word you've used and so it is NOT what it says. These days people can call you from anywhere in the world and still the number might appear to be from the UK. That's the "beauty" of modern technology.

Don't trust it and if you are like me listing to the Money Program on Radio 4 on Saturdays, you should know that the callers can spoof the UK banks phone number to get details of passwords and account numbers and all that. People have lost money by trusting what they thought was a UK bank calling them.

Also, as a side note TPS is a complete waste of time. It is not Government Sponsored body and there is no point in registering with them. In fact there have been cases where employees in the IT department of TPS were caught selling details to scammers and cold callers. Also, there is a possibility that their systems could be hacked and all the details falls into the wrong hands.

So don't give your details to TPS as well. I have come to the conclusion NOT to trust anybody. Not even the police unless they are empowered by law to get info from me.  Otherwise they are not likely to get any info from me.

I just use common sense. Where money question comes in any discussions then you should simply go away from that completely. Nobody has the right to ask for any details from you. Not even your banks over the phone.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

The TPS is about as about as much use as a bike is to a fish.

Stopping unwanted calls, be it legitimate ones or scams are almost impossible and it’s now getting worse on Mobiles, 3 times this week I’ve been informed on my work mobile I have an Arrest Warrant out for unpaid Taxes. It’s now mid afternoon Sunday and I’m still waiting for Mr Plod to come and arrest me.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@jtannawrote:

@Paul608085wrote:

"appear" is the word you've used and so it is NOT what it says. These days people can call you from anywhere in the world and still the number might appear to be from the UK. That's the "beauty" of modern technology.

Don't trust it and if you are like me listing to the Money Program on Radio 4 on Saturdays, you should know that the callers can spoof the UK banks phone number to get details of passwords and account numbers and all that. People have lost money by trusting what they thought was a UK bank calling them.

Also, as a side note TPS is a complete waste of time. It is not Government Sponsored body and there is no point in registering with them. In fact there have been cases where employees in the IT department of TPS were caught selling details to scammers and cold callers. Also, there is a possibility that their systems could be hacked and all the details falls into the wrong hands.

So don't give your details to TPS as well. I have come to the conclusion NOT to trust anybody. Not even the police unless they are empowered by law to get info from me.  Otherwise they are not likely to get any info from me.

It is worth giving the TPS your number, as this does stop marketing calls from legitimate UK companies. Even if there have been "cases where employees in the IT department of TPS were caught selling details to scammers and cold callers" - please cite the details - these scammers and cold callers can easily call anyway, so it still wouldn't stop them.

0 Ratings