cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Removal of old master socket

Go to solution

Hi, I've recently had fttp put in but I still have my old, no longer working, master socket and wires along the length of the house, do I need to get them to come back and take it out or can I do it myself? Thanks 

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Removal of old master socket

Go to solution

Just remove and bin them yourself.

Contrary to some people’s opinions there is no Openreach Police who will come round to give you a Fixed Penalty Notice for removing it.

Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks, I did think that but thought I'd check 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Yes just been going round removing my old sockets and trimming wires back so they can't be seen. Quite therapeutic actually!!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

I would like to do this too but isn't there an electrical charge still in the  old wiring? We had full fibre installed with a totally separate box wired in indepedently to the old line, but they left the old landline socket and wiring. I asked BT about it and they said there would still be an electrical charge in the old line as it's still connected to the telegraph pole. They said it would be £130 for them to remove it, which seems unfair as they made us move over to the new system and made the old one redundant. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

There is about 50 DC volts in the wiring. The most you might feel is a slight tingle if that and it will do you no harm to remove the cables or just tuck them inside the wall and cover over them.

Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

If I may add, the last safety course I did, we were told to consider any voltage dangerous, reason being not know state of persons health, pacemakers, shock across body etc. Meter it. Don't touch it.

I understand that once you are fibre, going back to copper wont happen? Wholesale have my address now as copper only by exception (not sure what that is). Removed my box, plastered over the wall box.

Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Unless you touch both wires simultaneously, you won't get a shock.

Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

If you are worried 50v will harm you then just wear rubber gloves when moving the wires

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

If the Line is still connected to the Exchange Equipment then it’ll be 48v DC with a 4v Return.

You won’t get any shock, no worse than the static electric you get off something like an Escalator.

The only time you’ll get one that’ll make you jump is off an ISDN Circuit as they carry 115v or if you just so happen to be holding the bare wires and someone phones that line as when they do it converts from 48v DC to 75v AC.