cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Repair for vulnerable elderly

Yesterday, I spent well over an hour trying to report a fault on my elderly and infirm in-laws landline.  In days gone by, anyone could phone 100, 24 hours a day, and ask the operator to check any line.  Now one has to battle with online forms (asking for account numbers - so you need to have access to the internet and know someone else's account details). Oh, and only during opening hours.  To report using a text, I would be charged by my provider (only free from a BT mobile)..Eventually I located live chat and the person there did try to help. I explained my in-laws are vulnerable (BT has been told this numerous times) and that there is no mobile signal where they live. I was offered an engineer's appointment in 4 days.  I explained this was unacceptable as they need to be able to call an ambulance.  I was told that the situation was being reported to the welfare team and I would hear in an absolute maximum of 30 hours.  Still not safe but I could do nothing.  Well, we are over 30 hours now and not a peep from the welfare team.

And yes, they did need to call an ambulance and were unable to do so. Fortunately they had a visitor who discovered the problem. The visitor had to leave them to find somewhere with mobile signal.    My father -in law was unable to get out of his chair for 12 hours and has now been diagnosed with pneumonia and severe heart failure and has a significant risk of sepsis.

Thanks BT.  So glad you are proud of the way prioritise the vulnerable.  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Repair for vulnerable elderly

Hi. 

I have asked for a moderator to take a look at this. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Message 3 of 6

Is 151 not still the number for faults?

Used to be open 24/7 - 365 Days a Year. Wasn’t perfect but it worked and the Helpdesk Agents were trained to understand line faults/conditions.

They could have raised a Welfare Cases directly with Openreach for the fault to be bumped up to a CL4, aka Care Level 4.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

It might be but I didn't see it listed anywhere and the person I "chatted" with didn't mention it.  I was told the case was priority but still nothing from them.  

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Right, might be worth trying it.

It’ll be 151 from a BT Line, I assume the same from an EE Line.

Any others it was the full 0800 800 151 number.

Message 6 of 6

Hi @Tiredparent,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry if your In-Laws have been left without telephone service. The Welfare team will always do the best to prioritise the repair but depending on the nature of the it could still take a few days. The quickest way to chase this is by giving the number @36ULW has posted a call.

If you try that number but still haven't got an update I be able to take a look at this for you. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings