cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Reporting a fault due to damage phone cable - correct procedure for reporting?

Go to solution

Hello folks,

I'm a BT residential customer with phone and broadband.

Yesterday, a contractor doing some work for me in my back yard managed to damage my phone cable. As a result, I've lost my phone and internet access.

I reported it to BT using the online fault reporting form. I also followed this up this morning with a chat conversation with BT repair.

This will need an Openreach engineer to come and repair the cable (which I'll be charged for I presume). Is there anything else I need to do or do I just wait for someone to contact me? The online fault tracking service currently says:

"Fault in progress. (We aim to fix this by end of Friday 2nd July) Our engineers are working on fixing the fault and your service should be back on line soon"

Apologies if I haven't posted this on the correct board!

Many thanks for any advice 🙂

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Reporting a fault due to damage phone cable - correct procedure for reporting?

Go to solution

@Redcardinal 

A charge will be raised for the repair, but as its third party damage, its usually the person causing the damage who has to pay.

You may receive the bill yourself, so you may end up having to claim off the contractor.

See https://www.bt.com/help/landline/getting-set-up/costs-and-charges/engineer-home-improvement-service-...

Message 3 of 5

Re: Reporting a fault due to damage phone cable - correct procedure for reporting?

Go to solution

@Redcardinal There is nothing further for you to do, just await Openreach

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Many thanks for your help. I shall await them getting in contact.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Ah, yes I suspected there would be a charge. That's not going to be a problem as my contractor has told me to knock it off his bill so I'll pay it.

Thanks for replying 🙂

0 Ratings