cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Rotary Phone not ringing

Go to solution

Hi - advice please (from someone who only grasps the basics of in-home telephone  systems)

I have a reconditioned rotary phone (as well as a standard modern push button telephone system). 

If I connect my rotary phone to my BT master socket - it works perfectly (which proves to me the phone / master socket are compatible). 

But when I connect the rotary phone to an extension socket - I can still hear / talk using it, but it does not ring when I have an incoming call (whereas my push button phones do).

I think the problem could be any of the following:

- I have an ADSL filter after my master socket to split the line between phone and internet;

- I have 2 pair cable going from the splitter to the extension socket;

- I have broadband; or, 

- I have the push button telephone system

Anyone know what the likely culprit is based on my description?  I can continue to eliminate variables one at a time but it is rather unpleasant crawling around in the sub-space of my house and I don't want to replace my 2 pair cable with 3 pair and find the problem persists!

Thank you in advance

David

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Rotary Phone not ringing

Go to solution

can you try disconnecting cable from filter to extension socket and then connect rotary phone to filter and see if that rings

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Just plug a filter in the extension socket to re-create the ring wire

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

More likely pin 3 of the master socket is not connected to pin 3 of the extension socket.

Pins 2 & 5 = A & B legs

Pin 3 = ringing current.

You wouldn't notice this on a Dect or digital phone as neither require pin 3 but the old 700 series phones do

Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@DavidH4 wrote:

I think the problem could be any of the following:

- I have an ADSL filter after my master socket to split the line between phone and internet;

Not entirely sure what you actually mean by that, how is the filter provided?  A filter doesn't 'split' anything in any case, it is just a low pass filter that prevents the broadband signal reaching the the phone.

- I have 2 pair cable going from the splitter to the extension socket;

Do you actually mean 2 pair (4 wires) or 2 wires?

- I have broadband; or, 

Irrelevant

- I have the push button telephone system

Irrelevant

Anyone know what the likely culprit is based on my description?  I can continue to eliminate variables one at a time but it is rather unpleasant crawling around in the sub-space of my house and I don't want to replace my 2 pair cable with 3 pair and find the problem persists!

If you mean pair, then 2 pair is all that you require as only 3 wires are needed.

Thank you in advance

David

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@DavidH4 

If you do not want to run another wire,  then the missing third (ring) wire can be emulated by plugging a microfilter into the extension socket, and then plugging the phone into the "phone" socket on the microfilter.

The microfilter has an internal capacitor which extends a third wire from the existing two wire connection.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Indeed, as posted in message 3 😄

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

No harm in repeating it, with a bit more of an explanation as to why its needed.

Of course any future move to DV, is not going to support pulse dialling without a convertor.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
tried this one first - for a change problem was not my wiring! thank you for your suggestion
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

It was the simple option of adding a microfilter to the extension socket (so plugged into extension socket before the rotary phone).  Added bonus I did not need to go back under the floor 🙂 

0 Ratings