cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

SMS not working after change over to Digital Voice

Go to solution

Hi - please can anybody help with changeover problem? Briefly I have Siemens C47H Gigaset VOIP phone which, prior changeover, I could use for SMS text send/receive. A brilliant feature was that if I missed home call it would send a text message to my mobile. After change over all SMS features stopped. Searching for solutions online was not successful.

BT say that for BT text to be enabled I need to send any text to a mobile or send "register" to 00000.  Also Caller Display has to be working (it is).   However, this is not helpful if I can't send a text!

When I try to send text from home phone it fails with  FE error. SMS service centre number on phone is 1470P17094009*. None of the new BT Digital Voice phones have SMS.

Any ideas really appreciated

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: SMS not working after change over to Digital Voice

Go to solution

Hi @Bazm27, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. 

Sorry that you can't send texts since the change over to Digital Voice. Digital Voice does not support outbound text. It does support inbound texts and they are converted into a voice message and delivered to the voicemail answering service. 

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you for that John. Thats a real pain. My Siemens phone would send a text to my mobile to say I had missed a call. A lot of VOIP phone manufacturers will be annoyed!
The present service is awful - my landline rings when I get a text sent.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

It's impossible to use text messaging,alarm systems and other things that make data calls, when you send or receive landline texts or if an alarm system reports an intruder, the devices make a quick call to a computer like dial up Internet using SIT tones to communicate with each other. Since VOIP is a voice over data service, it's impossible for this to happen as voice is recorded and sent over the Internet in packets.

BT's Payphones self report faults,usage information and BT can update the payphones including change prices remotely using the same technology as alarm systems and the landline text feature. Again all this will stop working when the Payphones are migrated to Voip. Other arrangements will have to be made to manage them remotely.

So as you see, a lot of changes will be happening with day to day technology that we have been used to using for the past 40 years 

0 Ratings