Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Perry1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Seeking permission to drive over manhole covers

Go to solution
I've been passed around different departments.given various numbers to call and forms to fill out. Even going as far as making a complaint,in the hope that someone could help me. All dead ends for something that seems so simple. I either get told its not their department or ignored.

Quite a few months ago,i sought out and got permission from my local council for a dropped kerb, in order to make a driveway. The guy that came out said there would be no issue from the council's end, but i would need to get permission from BT to drive over the three manhole covers that are directly outside my house on the pavement. So after months of pointless contact with BT,i'm still in the dark! I just need confirmation on whether or not i can drive over them or not and if there is any fee. If all is good then i just need an email or letter so i can prove it to tue council.

The manhole covers appear as:

SID. EN124
99 BT 10

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Seeking permission to drive over manhole covers

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Its Openreach you need to contact.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do

The manholes may get damaged, and the covers may need replacing, which would present a hazard. You would be charged for this.

0 Ratings
Perry1
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
Yeah but there are many different types of manhole cover, each with different weight capacities aren't there. So all i need to know is if these particular ones are strong enough and if not,what possible charge/s i'm looking at
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Perry1 wrote:
Yeah but there are many different types of manhole cover, each with different weight capacities aren't there. So all i need to know is if these particular ones are strong enough and if not,what possible charge/s i'm looking at

Only Openreach would know that.

This is just a BT Retail customer to customer help forum, and has nothing to do with Openreach.

This would be a good starting point https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/get-in-touch?utm_campaign=furls&utm_medium=furls&utm_sou...

I’m having building work done at my property. How do I make sure it doesn’t damage your network? 

If you need to know where our phone cables are buried (for example, if you’re having a new driveway put in and want to make sure you don’t get cut off) visit our dedicated website where you can ‘click before you dig’ to get free professional guidance and on-site assistance  before you start. You can also ask for a map of our network. 

I want to arrange for Openreach poles, cables, joint boxes or equipment to be moved or taken away. Who do I call?

Fill in this form to tell us about it. You can also call us on 0800 783 2023 (choose option 1). 

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
It would be unusual to have 3 Man Hole Covers within a few feet of each other.

I suspect you’re actually referring to Joint Boxes. If there’s 3 in a row I’m pretty confident it’ll be a JUF10.

They should be OK for a car to drive over them, I’d refrain from parking a car on top of them though as they may eventually give way.
0 Ratings
Divjot28
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hello. Did you sorted this manhole cover or still struggling mate?

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Divjot28wrote:

Hello. Did you sorted this manhole cover or still struggling mate?

Hi @Divjot28 ,

The OP has not posted in nearly 2 years so probably does not use the forum anymore.  Use the advice given by @Keith_Beddoe or start a topic of your own

0 Ratings
Divjot28
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi. I have sorted mate. All done now. Thanks 

0 Ratings