Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barney300
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Socket attached to furniture

Go to solution

Hello,

I've been here before, but not for some time. I hope this is the right forum.

Sorry this is a bit long, but it's an unusual situation, and I don't know what can be done about it.

A few weeks ago, my line developed a fault. I could access the internet, but there was no dial tone, and I couldn't make or receive voice calls.

I contacted BT, who sent someone out to fix the problem, but in the process he created two more.

I had three sockets, the master plus two extensions I'd installed myself, one in another room and one behind the computer desk. All perfectly legal.

The person who came blanked the master socket and made one of MY extensions the new master.

I'm not bothered that he used MY wiring to do this, wiring I'd bought and paid for, because I'd always intended to leave the extensions in place when I move, which I'm hoping to do within the next few months. Neither was I particularly concerned that he took my own extension sockets away, replacing them with new.

*** The main problem he created is that he screwed the new master socket onto my computer desk. ***

What kind of person attaches fittings that are supposed to be permanent to people's furniture???

What do I do now? Because the new master socket is attached to the desk, I can't take the desk with me when I move, but neither can I leave it behind.

Also, the previous location of the master socket was right for most people. Even if the new socket can be removed from the desk and attached to the wall, it won't be in the right place for whoever comes after me. He should have left the master where it was.

Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: Socket attached to furniture

Go to solution

Would the logical thing not be for you to contact BT and inform them what has happened and have them get the job done properly.

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

Obvious answer, 

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Strange. The forum said I'd included HTML code in that post, and that it had been automatically removed, so I had to click on Post a second time.

Not a problem, but there was no HTML there in the first place.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

Hi @Barney300 thanks for posting,  I'm sorry the engineer has done that.  We'll need to raise a poor workmanship complaint with Openreach and request they send someone to put that right for you.

Please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll be happy to help. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

Slightly off tangent but was it a sub-contractor that did that job? Guessing it was and may help you get it fixed.

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution

I don't know whether it will let me do this. The cookie that allowed me to sign in earlier has now "forgotten" my password, and I get a "token expired" message when I try to change it.

To answer your question, I assumed it was a BT engineer that was responsible for the screw-up, but I don't know for certain. It may have been a sub-contractor or it may have been Openreach (I'm on fibre).

In case this does post, I can't find the "contact the mods" link referred to in the previous post.

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

Curiouser and curiouser as Alice might say. Now I'm logged in, but I don't know how that happened.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

BT Retail do not send engineers, they all come from Openreach, or sub contracted by Openreach.

0 Ratings
Barney300
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

NeilO, done that. Thanks. Just a quick note to let you know I'll be away tomorrow until Monday evening, so anyone trying to contact me before I get back will get my answering machine.

0 Ratings