cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DigitalDave
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Some 0800 numbers "not recognised"

I work from home. My residential LL is BT with internet and TV. My Business line is with Talk Talk.

I have noticed on odd occasions that an 0800 number may not be recognised, when calling from BT.

It happened this week trying to call Speednames from my BT line- number not recognised. Dialled on the TT LL and got through. 3 days later and just checked and still the same.

Spoke to faults who phoned back to say it was "internal wiring" -STUPID OR WHAT? I had tried on two different phones and even called BT on THEIR 0800 #.

It is not a life changer but WHY?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Some 0800 numbers "not recognised"

Just tried their 0800 number from my BT LL and connected OK, but there was a delay ( no ringing tone ) then an announcement ‘You have call Speednames’
0 Ratings
DigitalDave
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Speednames is a net hosting company. I did not want to publish their number and am not allowed to post their url but just do a search. Their 0800 is in the top RH corner.

0 Ratings
DigitalDave
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

OK so WHY are some 0800 numbers not accessible from a BT line but are from a TT line?

Please could one of the Mods respond

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 5 of 7

Hi @DigitalDave welcome back and sorry you are still having difficulty with some 0800 numbers from your BT landline. 

It does seem strange fault and I've tested and found the same as @iniltous when I tried the Speednames number. Just to try and help diagnose the fault can you answer the following questions for me:

When you tried the 2 different phones can you confirm these were both tested on the BT Line.
Have you connected the phone to the test socket?
Have you experienced issues calling any other numbers from your BT line?
Are your phones set to Tone dialing?

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
DigitalDave
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Thank @JohnC2  and  @iniltous 

I re-tested and produced the same results.

The set up: Bus Line (TT) has wired phone. Res (BT)has cordless.

As I did at the start I swapped the phones over so corded was in BT master - same result "Not recognised" 

FWIW cordless worked on Bus Line. As you say- dial -silence and then Speednames announcement.

My work involves being fairly tech savvy so I appreciate only too well this is very bizarre. 

There is no timeout delay as the "Not recognised" message is within 3 seconds of dialling.

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
slapton
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

I am a speednames customer and found the same problem.

I've got BT number witheld on my phone and that is what causes the problem as I  prefixed the 0800 number with 1470 and got through

HTH

0 Ratings