cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Spoofed calls , silent when answered

Hi fellas like a lot of you I am getting spoofed numbers calling, and silence when answered. As many of you have said this is unsettling

I would like to obtain the true number that is calling me!!!! Surely in the 21st century this should be acheivable. If so it is my belief that these calls would cease, it should be a criminal offense to withold or fake your number.

Aah thats better got it off my chest. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Spoofed calls , silent when answered

Most of the time they are calling from IP based systems so have a traditional phone number. Also, they're normally based abroad and by the very nature of what they're doing they really don't care if they're breaking the law... 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@glyndywyrwrote:

Hi fellas like a lot of you I am getting spoofed numbers calling, and silence when answered. As many of you have said this is unsettling

I would like to obtain the true number that is calling me!!!! Surely in the 21st century this should be acheivable. If so it is my belief that these calls would cease, it should be a criminal offense to withold or fake your number.

Aah thats better got it off my chest. 

If you search on the forum there are many explanations why these spoofed numbers cannot be stopped.  If you want to stop them ringing your phone get a call barring phone, Google will give you many choices

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

For what it's worth  ( nothing ),  I agree with you:  it should be achievable.    In fact,  I've no doubt that it would be achievable if any given provider or group of providers felt inclined to invest enough time and effort into it.    However:

Firstly,  what company is going to invest what would be substantial amounts of time,  money and resources on solving a problem which makes them no income whatsoever?

Secondly,  even if they did,  as has been pointed out,  the majority of the scammers are from other countries;   so,  even if the originating number was traced,  unless the law in that country makes what they're doing a criminal offence  ( which,  currently,  obviously isn't the case ),  it makes no difference if you do trace the number  ( even more reason why companies will not invest time in the exercise ).

Thirdly,  although I agree that faking a number should be a criminal offence,  witholding it will almost certainly never be.    Think about it:  if that were passed into law today,  then as of tomorrow,  most hospitals,  doctors,  various other public services and many large businesses,  would no longer be able to make outgoing calls.    Unless they voluntarily chose to un-withold their number,  of course;   but then,  they could do that now,  but they don't.

Lastly,  as I myself have said elsewhere,  ultimately it makes no difference in any case,  because the criminals will always be one step ahead of the law.    If that were not the case  -  if it was the other way around  -  how,  in the 21st century,  would we still have criminals?

One little thing I would like to say,  while we're spitballing anyway:  at the same time as  'spoofed'  or faked numbers should be outlawed,  I wish all C.L.I. numbers were shown as actual legitimate geographical landline numbers  ( except mobiles ... obviously!! )  rather than 0800,  0845 or any of the countless other permutations which confer anonymity to the same extent as simply witholding the number.    Many large organisations do this as a matter of course,  and yet it too is just another flavour of spoofing.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

@Firefox1701 wrote:

One little thing I would like to say,  while we're spitballing anyway:  at the same time as  'spoofed'  or faked numbers should be outlawed,  I wish all C.L.I. numbers were shown as actual legitimate geographical landline numbers  ( except mobiles ... obviously!! )  rather than 0800,  0845 or any of the countless other permutations which confer anonymity to the same extent as simply witholding the number.    Many large organisations do this as a matter of course,  and yet it too is just another flavour of spoofing.

I don't follow the logic, how does an unknown (to you) geographic number identify a legitimate company any more than a unique 0800/0845 number?  How does a different prefix to a number make any difference? The only thing it does is possibly hide the physical location of the caller, which could just as easily be done with a geographic number anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

I take your point.    It doesn't necessarily identify the company;   but if the number that appeared on the scanner was the actual number of the phone the caller's ringing from,  at least you could call that actual person back rather than dial an 0800 number and go through eight menus before you end up with the wrong department anyway.    Don't get me wrong:  never in a million years do I see this happening  -   like I said,  it's just spitballing  -  but when I get a call from,  for example,  B.T. Customer Services and they leave a message,  it would be nice to be able to actually ring that number and talk to the person who left the message without God knows how much preamble.

Once again:  just spitballing.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Sorry to labour the point, but it matters not whether the company has an 0800 number or a geographic number. If it is a large organisation you will still have the interminable  menu options before ending up at the wrong department.