cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Stopping one line and transferring number

Hi,

I have two BT landlines . One used for calls and one for the internet .

Retiring soon , and will only need one in future .

So I want to close the current 'calls' line but transfer the number to the remaining line , which will then be used for calls and broadband. 

I understand this is possible but by which route is it best to start the process with BT ? Thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Stopping one line and transferring number

@Albermarle 

Can you please confirm that you pay BT Retail for both phone lines?

People often refer to BT Lines, when they may actually be renting from another provider.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

You could always add a broadband service to the line with the number you want to keep that currently has no broadband , this could possibly qualify as a new broadband with all new customer benefits that come with it, new router , discount for a few months etc,  then simply cease the line and  broadband   with the number you don’t want to keep.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Yes both are BT retail lines and both bills come from BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

RE - suggestion to add broadband to the 'calls' line and then cancel the other line .

Ideally not due to positioning of incoming sockets , but maybe could be a solution if the number changing proves difficult .

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Exchanging number between lines

I have two incoming BT lines ( billed direct from BT )

One is the original home phone line and we use this for calls only . The other is a fibre broadband connection , which is not used for anything else. 

To save costs ( now my employer is not paying anymore !) I want to reduce to one line ( the current broadbandline ) but first transfer the current ( well known ) home phone number from the other line to the current broadband line.

Then use the remaining line for broadband and voice calls.

It is really not practical to do it the other way around due to location of the lines in the house. 

I would just like to know the best way of approaching this with BT ? Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Re: Exchanging number between lines

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Cease the line only with the number you want to keep, then renumber the line with the broadband on a day after the other line ceases.

30 days notice is required to cease the line, a renumber costs £26 as a one-off charge.

However a renumber is not guaranteed so there is a risk, who originally issued the number you want to keep ?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I replied that yes both lines are with BT retail, but I do not think then I ever got any further answers .

Anyway definitely a direct BT customer for both lines . 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

The number was from when we first moved in 25 years ago , so whatever BT was called then .

0 Ratings