cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bonja456
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Suspicious call and follow up email

I have received 3 calls in the last half hour from 012008450385 012078812695 and 01204 6479265 claiming that my account has been compromised.  I don't normally give these calls any time but decided to play along.  There was no attempt to verify who I was or ask me to go through any security steps.  

I became concerned when the caller said that he was going to send me an email with a PIN number which I needed to confirm to him - these emails did arrive.  At this point I put the phone down and they tried to call me back 4 times.  The email address was btcomms@info.bt.com but the company registration number at the bottom is 18000000 which I know is not BT's company number.

I have now received 4 of the same emails informing me of a pin number. The email uses my first name and they obviously have associated my email address with my landline number. After me putting the phone down, they left a message saying it's BT and it's very important they talk to me to verify my account.  Those numbers above don't look like UK numbers either.    

So, is this a new scam or is it a poorly managed legitimate contact?  If a scam, how is someone in possession of my landline, able to personal the email to my first name and also have my email address (that doesn't include my name).

Thanks.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14

Re: Suspicious call and follow up email

I have an email from that very same address and I'm confident it is genuine so, on the face of it, I would say that the email address is genuine, but the rest of it sounds very dodgy.

What underlying address do you see if you hover a mouse pointer over that email address

0 Ratings
Bonja456
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Same address.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14

I have been sent a PIN number by BT followed by a phone call but each time it was initiated by me, i.e.  in response to me querying something with BT. I very much doubt that BT would initiate contact.

0 Ratings
Bonja456
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Any ideas if I need to escalate this to BT to confirm all is in order?  I'm concerned about the information the caller had at his disposal. I didn't stay on the call long enough to ask what I was supposed to do with the PIN number.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 14

@Bonja456wrote:

Any ideas if I need to escalate this to BT to confirm all is in order?  I'm concerned about the information the caller had at his disposal. I didn't stay on the call long enough to ask what I was supposed to do with the PIN number.

@NeilO 

Is this worth escalating?

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 7 of 14

Hi @Bonja456,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry for any confusion over the PIN etc. Do you have any outstanding faults or complaints on your account that might require follow up? have you recently had or been offered an upgrade?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
GeoffSmith
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

@Bonja456wrote:

I have received 3 calls in the last half hour from 012008450385 012078812695 and 01204 6479265 claiming that my account has been compromised.  I don't normally give these calls any time but decided to play along.  There was no attempt to verify who I was or ask me to go through any security steps.  

I became concerned when the caller said that he was going to send me an email with a PIN number which I needed to confirm to him - these emails did arrive.  At this point I put the phone down and they tried to call me back 4 times.  The email address was btcomms@info.bt.com but the company registration number at the bottom is 18000000 which I know is not BT's company number.

I have now received 4 of the same emails informing me of a pin number. The email uses my first name and they obviously have associated my email address with my landline number. After me putting the phone down, they left a message saying it's BT and it's very important they talk to me to verify my account.  Those numbers above don't look like UK numbers either.    

So, is this a new scam or is it a poorly managed legitimate contact?  If a scam, how is someone in possession of my landline, able to personal the email to my first name and also have my email address (that doesn't include my name).

Thanks.

The area codes appear to be Clitheroe, Consett and Bolton. Assuming that BT doesn't go in for CLID masquerading, why would they call you from three different places?

On the basis of the numbers alone I'd say it shouts "scammers".

0 Ratings
Bonja456
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Hi

No nothing outstanding.  The caller definitely made comments about my account being compromised.  Do those phone numbers that I've listed look familiar?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 14

@GeoffSmith 

You could well be right but bear in mind that scammers usually spoof the numbers they call from so you can't be sure that those are even the actual calling numbers.

Also some companies (maybe including BT maybe not - I wouldn't know) have their customer service reps working from home at the moment because of Covid so the CLID number doesn't help in determining if the call is genuine or not.

0 Ratings