cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

Switched to Digital Voice from copper line and lost landline number please help

Hi,

I'm desperate for any advice. There is no consistency in training when you speak to BT telephone support staff. I have been told conflicting information more times then I care to remember, the telephone support is a horror show.

In short we have been switched onto a Digital Voice telephone package having previously had a copper line telephone system. Our previous landline telephone number, which we need, has been removed and we've been issued a new telephone number. I have been told it is currently not possible to renumber an old copper number to digital voice telephone number, i have no idea if this is true or not having been told the opposite last week. Can anyone offer any advice on this? I can't face the telephone support anymore.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: Switched to Digital Voice from copper line and lost landline number please help

I don't know why you chose Digital voice but hey ho.

Give the FTTP team a ring and they should be able to sort you out. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Re: Switched to Digital Voice from copper line and lost landline number please help

@KimWillis 

If you have been migrated to BT Digital Voice, not by choice, then you should be able to keep your phone number, provided it is a BT Retail phone number, and has not been ported over from another provider.

If you have requested BT Digital Voice yourself, then your options are limited.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 25

@pippincp "I don't know why you chose Digital voice but hey ho" Long story - we were at one point advised by BT rep that this was the best way to get our original number back.... As i say different reps tell you different things

on the phone to the fttp team now to try as you advise. I can't help but have zero hope at this point.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

@Keith_Beddoe "If you have requested BT Digital Voice yourself, then your options are limited."

What are our limited options?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 25

@KimWillis wrote:

"If you have requested BT Digital Voice yourself, then your options are limited."

What are our limited options?

If you requested it yourself, then I do not think there is an automatic process to migrate your number on all exchanges, so you are given a new one. Most things in BT are done robotically using software.

Those people who are told that they are being moved onto BT Digital Voice, are those who`s exchange is scheduled for closure first, as part of the PSTN closure plan, so there would be an automatic software process in place, to create the required re-routing.

BT Digital Voice does not offer many advantages, and service is lost if there is a power cut, or network routing failure.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 25

@pippincp spoke to FTTP and have been told it is not possible. I'm in shock at how bad a service we've received from BT, truly awful, but unfortunately we are completely at their mercy. Thanks for your advice any way.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

was your number originally given to you by BT and you are now trying to port it back to BT from another provider?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 25

@Keith_Beddoe we did not want to be on Digital voice. We had out landline cancelled in error and were advised that if we switched to Digital voice we could get our original number back. It's been an utter nightmare.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

@KimWillis wrote:

Yes, we did not want to be on Digital voice. We had out landline cancelled in error and were advised that if we switched to Digital voice we could get our original number back. It's been an utter nightmare.

That is where the problem has occurred, I think its only possible to get back copper landline numbers, provided they were owned by BT Retail.

The cancelled landline, was it a BT Retail phone number?

0 Ratings