cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 80

Re: Telephone line switch off ?

Go to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

I  notice you have sent me Broadband checker!

Yes

Are you not aware that BT Broadband is only available on compatible phone lines!

If you enter your phone number in the checker it will reveal if your line is 'compatible'.

As I have pointed out my telephone line is NOT compatible with broadband and I seriously doubt would work with a router!!

So you keep saying

My telephone line does not work with a router! The phone line would need to be changed. That is not happening!

Also read my original reply below-

You can't expect to plug in a router and expect the internet to work as some older phone lines don't work with routers/internet and will need to be changed. I had my phone line checked and they said it wasn't suitable for internet use. That is why I have reservations.

It has nothing to do with the age of the line, it is the distance from the cabinet or exchange and the electrical characteristics of the line that is the governing factor.

Not everybody leaves things plugged in. I would only switch on a router when using the internet, I would not leave it switched on permently. It would have to be switched off at some point, and phone calls would be missed.

Routers are designed to be left on 24/7, continuous switching on and off is not recommended and could be detrimental to the longevity of its components.

I have not heard anything on the News about this project. Not many people are aware of it, there has no talk about switching off phone lines whatsoever!

There has been much in the news.

Are you sure this project  is not optional? Like I say, my telephone line is not suitable for use with the internet and I am not legally obliged to change it.

It is not optional.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 42 of 80

Go to solution

My telephone line is NOT compatible with broadband. The checker only gives area speeds. BT have said they would need to change my line. I'm not changing my phone line!

You say: 'It has nothing to do with the age of the line, it is the distance from the cabinet or exchange and the electrical characteristics of the line that is the governing factor'. 

Yes, and the telephone line doesn't work with broadband, not now or in the 1970's! Even when it was new it didn't work with broadband, as it was only available on compatible phone lines then. 

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 80

Go to solution

No it doesn't, it gives speeds based on the routing for individual phone numbers.

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 80

Go to solution

"Are you sure this project  is not optional? Like I say, my telephone line is not suitable for use with the internet and I am not legally obliged to change it.

It is not optional."

It is optional no one is forcing to have either a phone or broadband.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 45 of 80

Go to solution

Thank you. I had a feeling it might be an optional project.

I am just trying to point out some problems with the project that haven't been raised.

Hopefully I will still be able to make phone calls on a copper phone line after 2025 (in my case aluminium!) without a router, unless I choose to do so.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 80

Go to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you. I had a feeling it might be an optional project.

I guess you didn't read @Bob1001  reply carefully.

Its optional as in take it or leave it.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 47 of 80

Go to solution

I have been told it IS an optional project, so I will just carry on with phone and line as normal, until my phone line is changed. (should that ever happen).

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 80

Go to solution

It is not optional, who told you it was?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 49 of 80

Go to solution

It is an optional project. This was confirmed by @Bob1001 who obviously has experience in these matters.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 50 of 80

Go to solution

I will leave it then! As I am not ready to change my phone line.

0 Ratings