cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: The end of the proper landline system

Although you may feel vulnerable, telephony at risk in the event of a power outage ( although it’s your power company that should be addressing that ) , currently if your powered from the exchange phone service developed a fault that stopped it working , what would you do , no mobile , no landline ?, your current landline phone service isn’t infallible , you obviously live with that risk, if the risk were so great , presumably you would conclude that you need to move to another area where a ( backup) mobile signal is available, so rather emergency services can be summoned,  the fact that you haven’t means that the ‘risk’ is insufficient for that upheaval, in other words you accept a level of risk as opposed to doing everything possible to be able to contact the emergency services.

So , why the panic , the chances of a power cut ,at the same time you need to make an emergency call when on DV are probably no greater than you needing to make an emergency call when you copper pair service was not working, plus DV can be maintained with a UPS device during a power outage, for those that say my power goes off regularly but the regular phone line doesn’t, that is the wrong viewpoint, the question should be how often did you need to make an emergency call during these power outages, even if they are frequent, your need to call 999 is not frequent, if it is , presumably you should be in a hospital or care home.

If you need to mitigate the risk , short of moving house, and are in need of assistance in purchasing a UPS , ( the rules to who qualify for a free UPS  are vague ) you could ask for one to be provided  , but if your concerns are that genuine then you would just purchase one ( for a relatively small sum ) for peace of mind.

This  Luddite mentality won’t get you anywhere, the supposed risks are overblown and what’s more , as with all these things ( leaded petrol withdrawal, analogue tv switch off , compulsory seatbelt wearing ) those that complain the loudest that this will adversely affect them  will ( if they have any self awareness) after implementation conclude , that was a lot of fuss over nothing.

Message 12 of 16

So only Broadband goes down, never the phone service?

As said, the Worlds moving on, it’s a case of come along for the ride or lock yourself away. Your call……

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

I've had the Internet go down once and drop in speed and the landline still functioned even though I got this on the fault service page:

BT.PNG

My other experience has been both go down completely. I have 4 x Advance handsets and 3 of them light up to say there's no signal. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

I don't think I understand a single word in the first para in this linked passage - "First and foremost, Digital Voice does not use WiFi to connect to the DV handsets. The Smart Hub2 has a built in DECT base station, the WPS button is dual purpose and is used to pair the handsets to the hub as well as its traditional WPS role. Hence DV can only be used with a SH2 directly connected to line (copper connection) or the ONT (fibre connection)."

I don't know what Digital Voice is - presumably the new kind of phone calls we made after the siwtch over?

DV handset - is that an old landline phone.

How do you know if you have S,art Hub 2? I presume that might be the BT modem things I have.

I don'tk now what DECt is nor a base station.

What is a WPS button etc.....

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

In our case yes - never had phone landline trouble but every day internet cuts out 3 or 4 times (wer don't have good mobile signal either). It ook 10 years for use to get broadband here good enough to watch TV after my son found a special external OpenReach consultant. I had to raise £12000 from neighbours and OR paid double that to get the right kind of power to the local box. We are 4 miles from the phone exchange. From that box the lines then go over head quite a long way over several streets.

It isn ow good enough to watch tvb but even just now tonight my SkyGo cut out and I had to go back into it and yesterday my son was playing an online game with others and in 30 minutes it cut out twice which then excluded him from the game in full. I don't want such dodgy bad service powering my phone calls as well. It just seems very risky.
0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

The devices you highlight appear to be connected using WiFi so is it your WiFi that is dropping or is it your internet connection which is not the same.  When you have a problem does the light on your hub change colour from blue?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings