cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

The new digital voice service

I am scheduled to have the changeover next week.

I already have 2 mobile phones (supplied and billed via BT) that operate entirely independent of the landline system and the signal is excellent so I could abandon the digital voice altogether (is this correct ?)

Therefore, I should pay a reduced sum for my landline set-up (would this happen ?)

We have to honour BT contracts to the 'end date' but BT are taking away my service before the contract end date.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: The new digital voice service

@Baffled3 

There is no reduction in cost, as the money you pay, includes the cost of supplying a broadband connection, there are no separate phone line rental charges any more.

This has been the case for a long time.

You can opt out of Digital Voice, but can always add it again in the future if you wish,

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Sorry but you are incorrect. I pay a Calling Plan which amounts to around £8 per month and just phoned BT and they confirmed that could be cancelled. My usage of the landline is very low so someone else could have much bigger savings than me.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

you cannot cancel your landline as that is required to provide broadband but you can cancel your calling package which is an add-on.  you do not get a reduction in your standard broadband package as @Keith_Beddoe posted but you can reduce cost as you are doing by cancelling your calling package

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

I had the fibre optic cable fitted earlier this year and understood that the wifi would therefore be separate from the copper wired landline and thought 'good, a better wifi signal' -- wrong -- I still get the little swirl on screen, usually when watching a Premier match. Now I am wondering, if the landline is sharing the fibre optic cable, will the wifi signal deteriorate ?
So my copper wires and socket, from next week, will be obsolete. I will then just use my mobile.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

your wifi connection has nothing to do with whether you are connected by fibre or copper cable.  your wifi signal comes from the SH2 or whichever router you decide to use

have you tried changing wireless channel?  use a wifi analyser on your phone and you will see the wireless channels in use and you can select a free or less congested channel  if you have SKYQ i would a channel other than 36

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 7

A paid for calling plan ( BT’s are currently 700 minutes, or unlimited ) can be cancelled and replaced by a PAYG plan that doesn’t cost anything per month , but you do pay for every chargeable call you make…obviously if you never make any calls there will be no call charges, you don’t need to be on DV to do this .
Many think if they don’t have a copper pair , (the phone service being delivered over the ‘fibre’ the same as the broadband) then they shouldn’t have to pay ‘line rental’ thinking that if they don’t use the copper pair ‘line’ then how can there be line rental for it, but of course there is a line , the ‘fibre’ that delivers the service has to be paid for, did doesn’t matter if someone has a copper pair or fibre to the premises, or both , they attract a ‘rental’ charge.
It’s possible that if someone opts for ‘broadband only’ service at the outset , where no phone service of any kind is available ( not even PAYG available, there won’t be a dialtone ) then a small saving may be available against the standard line rental charge, but it’s unclear if you can simply move onto that product.

0 Ratings