cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Transferring existing phone number

I have a BT phone line on standard copper but 7 months ago had Fibre 2 installed with digital voice and broadband.  However, the digital voice has been issued with a new number which I didn't want. Repeated attempts to have my old number ported over to fibre has resulted in it being disconnected, then reconnected on copper and then a third number being issued on copper. All I want is my old number which everyone knows moved to fibre. I have been told on two occasions that I will have to wait until the whole area is migrated to fibre. Why is that so when I already have fibre? What makes this simple request so difficult?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Transferring existing phone number

That shouldn't be the case.

I'll flag it to the mods for you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Hi @bgcheztf 

Thanks for posting, sorry for the issues you have had when trying to retain your telephone number.

For something like this I would say to call the FTTP team on 08005874787, they deal primarily with FTTP and Digital Voice and should be in the best position to advise on this and what options are available.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Thank you

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Thanks; I'll ring them tomorrow. hopefully it will be more responsive than speaking with the call-centre on the advertised freephone.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Following StuartH's advice I called that number, spent about 10 minutes explaining the problem, waited even longer (with dreadful music!) and then spoke with an engineer.  A very long discussion culminated in him explaining what I had asked for. Two work orders followed with each being cancelled within a day.  The third went ahead and went live on 4th Feb.

So, I checked and they had not ported over my old (copper wired) number: they had given me yet another new number. My bill now shows 3 phone numbers and the charge has increased by more than £20 our month.

How can I raise a formal complaint to someone other than a call-centre? This has been going on since July last year. If it is not possible to port this number, please explain why. I am not that stupid! Had that been said at the outset I would not have returned to BT.

I am losing the will to live but I will have to have another excruciating discussion with BT again tomorrow.

0 Ratings