cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Underground wiring connection to Master socket

Go to solution

About 20 years ago BT connected the underground wiring (solid copper) to my master socket using jelly crimps and stranded wiring in white sheath.

The joins are just outside the house under the grey plastic cover, and the white sheath cable goes through the wall into the back of the old Master which is to be replaced with a new Openreach Master.

Will the stranded wires slow down internet and should this short length of cable be replaced with one having solid copper wires e.g. Cat5e that then joins the Master at A and B.

No problem with the jelly crimp concept - I know they are standard practice!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Underground wiring connection to Master socket

Go to solution

@actionfire 

Are you a BT Retail customer?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Does not sound like a BT (as they were 20yrs ago) repair job as they never used stranded wires to my knowledge. Stranded is/was used by intruder alarm companies.

I guess over a short distance that you have it may not be an issue. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Devon_Dave

I rechecked and realised I was mistaken. The BT cable is solid cores. Thanks for the heads up - saved me the time replacing that

I’ve run Cat5e to upstairs for router and voice using A B  and 2 5 on Openreach Master respectively.

Download increased from  average 9 to 23 and upload increased from 5.5 to 6.

I understand it might improve further when it settles?

I am going to replace the RJ45 (socket) to RJ11 (router) cable with a Cat 5e one which might help further?

0 Ratings