cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cala08mari
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Unfair Engineer Charge £130

At the end of January 2018 I phoned BT as our Smart Hub had randomly begun flashing pink and the broadband had stopped working. After running a number of tests BT advised that they would need to send out an engineer to fix the problem. On the morning the engineer was due, I received a call from him saying that the problem had been fixed and that he just needed to come into the property to check to see that the broadband was back on. The engineer came into the flat, looked at the blue light on the hub, told me it was all good and left. I was happy with this prompt service and didn't think any more of it until I checked this month's bill and noticed that I am going to be charged £129.99.

I immediately rang to dispute the charge but was told that the engineer's report said "a new socket was fitted". I told them that this wasn't the case as the engineer was in the property for around 30 seconds to a minute and I was stood with him the whole time, to which they replied that they "can only go by what the report says". Our socket is also in a strange place (almost on the ceiling above our front door), requiring a step ladder to reach it, so I would have noticed a man doing work on it.

I feel that the charge is completely unfair as I have caused no damage to the line and it seems that the engineer has filed his report incorrectly. I have raised a complaint and this has been escalated but I'm worried that BT are just going to keep repeating the same thing to me and continue to charge me the £130 that I really don't have. I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to get help before I go and raise the issue with ombudsman.

Any help would be really appreciated.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
RobbieMac
Message 2 of 3

Re: Unfair Engineer Charge £130

Hi @cala08mari

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that you feel you've been incorrectly charged for the engineer's visit.  I can look into this for you from here.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
cala08mari
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Unfair Engineer Charge £130

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that whilst our broadband was down, so was our next door neigbours. If the probem lied within our property like BT said, surely this wouldn't cause next doors broadband to go down?

0 Ratings