cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Upgrade to FTTP and its effect on phone line number

I have just initiated the process of upgrading my BT Broadband and phone line to BT FTTP.   One consequence is that the home phone line will change to Digital Voice.  I fully expected to retain my existing home phone number when the upgrade occurs but to my surprise found messages within the upgrade contract that undermine this expectation.  An example is: 

We'll confirm your home phone number when your service starts.”

This may just be aimed at new customers or it may be a transitional number but this is not clear from the way it is worded and would mean that I would have no grounds to complain if the number changed permanently - that is did not return to my current number.

So my questions are:

• Will I retain my existing home phone number without action on my part?
  • If not, can I insist that I retain my home number?
  • What action do I need to take to ensure my existing phone number is retained?
  • Can I get written confirmation from BT that I will retain my home number?

Without some form of assurance I will have to cancel my upgrade.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Upgrade to FTTP and its effect on phone line number

my parents recently switched to digital broadband ,from plusnet to bt,,,,when i made the order said several times i needed to keep the existing number ,,,he said it would transfer over no problem....the number was changed to a new one,,,after several calls to them....30 pounds was charged by them and  credited back ,,and they say the old number will be retained again,,in a day or two,,,,,not sure if this will happen ,,because  ive learned from ringing bt they say lots of things that are going to  happen.but sometimes they dont ...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

That's an entirely different scenario, the OP isn't changing providers.

Message 4 of 10

Correct and thanks for your input.

Would you have any idea what the answer to my question is?

Regards
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I can only say that you should keep your number, but as just another customer, I obviously can't give any assurances.

Message 6 of 10

Thanks I understand.

A short while ago I found your response to scotbot on 08/12/21 @ 12:45 in which you’re much more definite and that has already provided some reassurance. I understand why you can’t be certain as things can always go wrong.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

sorry for posting ...i thought it might be a similar situation  swapping numbers to digital...i see its bt to bt in the posters case. ,,but they did say my parents would keep their number which didnt happen,,,i was just saying how i was told i got promised i could get it back if i bought the old number back n credited the money back ...so posted incase that happens to him i....they,ve swapped suppliers several times and had no problems keeping it except this time ..and bt did give them that number nearly 50 yrs ago..

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

The good news is that my phone number did not change.  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

I'm late picking up on this thread but for what it's worth;

I retained my landline number when I changed to DV even though an OR guy I spoke to advised me that my local exchange (which is about 1 mile away and has served my address for over 30 years) is not suitably equipped, I'm told that my telephony service is now provided by a different exchange some 7 miles away.

Message 10 of 10

I'm late to this as well but it might help others to recall that the original working practice  was retention of the existing number when DV was instigated by BT (including when recontracting) but it was liable to change if DV was specially requested by the customer. I've not seen any evidence that this has changed

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.