cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Using DECT cordless phone with Digital Voice Adapter

Go to solution

I have a  BT Elements DECT phone with 4 additional  handsets giving a total of 5 handsets.   I’m pleased to see (from the post Digital Voice FAQs) all handsets will still work if I register an Adapter to a Smart Hub 2 and then plug the BT Elements base into the Digital Voice Adapter.

Question 1

Please, can you tell me if the buttons, menus etc on the handsets would work exactly as before? I need to know because we are both old and disabled. Change is really difficult or , sometimes, impossible. (physical and cognitive damage) I would need to rethink if the handsets are likely to behave differently.

Question 2

Please, can you tell me if the 5 handsets would use up all the permitted 5 “Digital Voice product registrations” to the Smart Hub 2. Or would there just be just one “Digital Voice product registration” taken up  on the Smart Hub 2 (for the Adapter) , leaving 4 available for other products. For example,  I’m thinking  it might be useful to add in an Advanced Digital Home Phone, for the accessibility function and for system management.

I know the transition to Digital Voice is currently paused, but I feel the need to understand this inevitable change now - while I can! I find this tech stuff really challenging and it’s  getting harder as I age. I will be very grateful for advice and info.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Using DECT cordless phone with Digital Voice Adapter

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

The adapter is what will register with the hub not your current phone system so no problem connecting your existing phone setup

BT were providing either a free advanced DV phone or an adapter so you may have to pay for one of them but you can only ask and see if you get them free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@JanH1 wrote:

Question 1

Please, can you tell me if the buttons, menus etc on the handsets would work exactly as before? I need to know because we are both old and disabled. Change is really difficult or , sometimes, impossible. (physical and cognitive damage) I would need to rethink if the handsets are likely to behave differently.

Yes, it will just the same.

Question 2

Please, can you tell me if the 5 handsets would use up all the permitted 5 “Digital Voice product registrations” to the Smart Hub 2. Or would there just be just one “Digital Voice product registration” taken up  on the Smart Hub 2 (for the Adapter) , leaving 4 available for other products. For example,  I’m thinking  it might be useful to add in an Advanced Digital Home Phone, for the accessibility function and for system management.

Just the one for the adapter. However, you don't even need the adapter, you can plug your base station directly into the green phone socket at the rear of the hub.

Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

As confirmation, I simply plugged my existing DECT base into the hub and separately paired the DV phone with the hub. Everything works as intended.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you, everyone. So helpful. Thanks also for tip about plugging base station directly into green phone socket on hub. However - in my particular case - hub works best upstairs and phone base station needed downstairs. Easier to manage there. Also, we have a subscription to City Wide Alarms and that's linked into the system. Can't begin to think how that might integrate with Digital Voice. Well beyond my level of understanding. All I know is that there's no way I can go up and down stairs in an emergency.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @JanH1   

If you want to go for a DV Adapter and an Advanced HD Phone I would opt for the free Phone and buy an Adapter as that is the cheapest.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-digital-voice-adapter-100121-bt2-G6C5.html

Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@JanH1  It would be best to get an AV adapter (one free from BT) and plug your DECT main phone into that, any existing DECT phones will work as before.

I would contact "City Wide Alarms" and see what they suggest.

There is more time as the rollout has been suspended but allow plenty of time to sort out your alarm (it may be one that needs a "copper" connection only the alarm company will know)

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@Bob1001 wrote:

@JanH1  It would be best to get an AV adapter (one free from BT) and plug your DECT main phone into that, any existing DECT phones will work as before.

As @VeteranISPUser  has pointed out, if the OP requires both a DV phone and an adapter, the cheaper option is to purchase the adapter and get the advanced DV phone supplied gratis.

I would contact "City Wide Alarms" and see what they suggest.

There is more time as the rollout has been suspended but allow plenty of time to sort out your alarm (it may be one that needs a "copper" connection only the alarm company will know)

The only alarm that would need a copper connection is a pulse dialling one, which no alarm company ought to be supplying in this day and age. The alarm companies have been aware of the changeover for several years and have no excuse for burying their heads in the sand.