cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Longshanks
Expert
Message 11 of 30

Re: V noisy landline indeed

Thanks. Yes, get that, but only extension in house is that in hall (where corded main phone situated) If that is “still working”, how would that be? I thought this would/should be dead by virtue of no main phone plugged into test socket?

Seems unlikely, but is is possible that I connected the extension to master wrong way around? Ie the end with the wires go into master and other end plugged into extension? (Don’t think that’s possible as end with bare wires can only go into extension?)

Sorry this is getting convoluted. Appreciate your time and expertise.
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Expert
Message 12 of 30

Also just read imjolly response. Difference could be that my upstairs base unit only connects to mains, not wires to downstairs extension. Does that shift the paradigm here?

Thanks
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 30

Disconnecting the frontplate of the master to reveal the test socket will disconnect everything else if all has been wired correctly. If you have dial tone on any other instrument (wired or cordless) other than just a corded phone plugged into the test socket, the wiring is wrong. If the base station is plugged into an extension socket it should not be working, hence no cordless phones should be working.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Expert
Message 14 of 30

Thanks again. Two brief points:

1. Interestingly, no dial tone when trying the upstairs base unit, but I was able to call my own mobile phone.

2. I can confirm that extension socket downstairs certainly disconnected when front cover of master socket faceplate removed. However, upstairs we do not have another “socket”, simply the small second base unit which only plugs into mains. It rings when main number dialled, but obviously doesn’t give you the facility for someone else to carry on conversation downstairs (not connected by wire). It is this unit that worked, albeit with no dial tone?

Thanks
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 30

I'm totally confused. The upstairs 'base unit' is just a charger and has no connection to the phone sytem whatsoever. The handset is just a cordless handset and works by connecting to a base unit that is plugged into a phone socket. Which socket is the cordless base station plugged into?

The simplest method of testing if removing the master socket faceplate is completely disconnecting your internal wiring is to try the corded phone in every other socket. There should be no dial tone at any socket.

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Expert
Message 16 of 30

Sorry, misunderstanding probably entirely my fault. The corded Panasonic is plugged into downstairs extension socket. (Only BT extension socket in house) The secondary Panasonic unit (cordless) is merely plugged into a power socket in bedroom. This cordless phone sits on the charger and then rings when the main phone rings. Although not connected via extension socket and wire it is somehow paired with cordless downstairs as it rings out and can be used.

We used to have a second extension socket in bedroom, but we indoors didn’t like cable going up stairs.

So when you advise checking corded with “every other socket” etc, we only have the one and that’s downstairs.

I’m no engineer, but wonder if we can still use the upstairs cordless as it isn’t connected via socket to downstairs extension socket, and thereby master socket?? I naively thought we could use the cordless in this way, without impact on noise etc.
0 Ratings
Longshanks
Expert
Message 17 of 30

Sorry meant cordless is somehow paired with CORDED downstairs.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 30

so the wireless base unit is downstairs and it is just a charger upstairs.  the base downstairs must be connected to a phone socket so ,assuming not the master socket, when you use a filter and connect to test socket your base unit should no longer have a dial tone and hence the upstairs cordless will also have no dial tone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 30

@Longshanks wrote:
Sorry meant cordless is somehow paired with CORDED downstairs.

When you say 'corded', do you mean that the base unit that the handset plugs into is corded or it is a completely corded stand alone phone?

0 Ratings
Longshanks
Expert
Message 20 of 30

Hi again

Might be easier if I include link to manual for phone in question.

http://www.ligo.co.uk/data/manuals/Panasonic%20KX-TGF320E%20-%20User%20Manual.pdf

In this context I have the “base unit” plugged into extension socket downstairs. I then have the “handset” only plugged into mains power supply in bedroom, nothing else.

In relation to your finsl question- the downstairs handset plugs into the base unit which is corded. Is that right?

Thanks again
0 Ratings