cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bham62
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

We've been given a new landline number, we want to keep the old one!

Afternoon. We have just switched from NOW TV broadband to BT Fibre, and BT have given us a new landline number - didn't realise this was going to happen as every other time we've changed provider the number has ported across. We were not asked if we wanted to keep the old one. We have rung the help line today and have been told that it will take 14 days to change back (the old number is 'in quarantine'), which is definitely not acceptable. Does anyone know a quicker way of getting back our old number?

The only thing we did differently this time was to have the BT account in my wife's name, all the previous phone/internet contracts have been in mine, so it looks like they have treated her like a brand new customer.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: We've been given a new landline number, we want to keep the old one!

If you account is now in you wife's name for first time then it is a new customer and a new account and presumably you were able to get the monthly package cost applicable to new customers

you appear to have moved from various ISPs but was your phone number allocated to you initially by BT Retail and at the same address that you now live

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
bham62
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi there, thanks for the response. As far as I recall, yes this was a BT landline with a new number at the start, and we have kept the same number all the way through - the house was a new build when we moved in, in 2003. We haven't been BT customers for a number of years prior to yesterday, so would have qualified as 'new customers' irrespective of whose name we had used (and there are reasons why the line is now in my other half's name and not mine).

We are just a little annoyed that it wasn't flagged up that the switch would trigger a new number being issued - her indoors does some work from home outside of her day job and uses the home phone to maintain contact with clients, so she's probably more than a little bit annoyed to be honest. If there isn't a quicker way of switching back to the old number then we'll just have to put up with it, but it's not a great start to the customer/supplier relationship.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@bham62 

If you were originally a BT Retail customer at your current address, then you can request a re-number back to the number that you wanted to keep. There is normally a small charge for this.

If you have problems with the request, then one of the moderators can be asked to assist.

Its worth double checking to make sure the number you wanted to keep, does belong to BT Retail.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your local  number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

It will show BT against the number range.

0 Ratings