cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

What are my options after upgrading to full fibre in regards to QOS and digital voice

Go to solution

So today I upgraded to FTTP with a new contract.  It's to be installed on the 16th. 'Fibre 100 with Halo 3'. After reading more it turns out my phone line is going to be moved to something called 'digital voice'. This means the phone needs to use the BT Hub they will send.

The problem is I need a router with QOS. I have a family member who constantly streams Netflix which makes online gaming impossible. The only fix is a 3rd party router with QOS. The routers BT sends are always rubbish with no features, so unless the new one they send has QOS, internet experience is going to worsen with this 'upgrade'.

It seems digital voice is forced and I can't just take the FTTP with regular landline, correct? What are my options now? I really don't want to have to cancel but I'm not sure what else I can do. Is there anyway I can still use a 3rd party router or get access to QOS?

Thank you

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: What are my options after upgrading to full fibre in regards to QOS and digital voice

Go to solution

You can take the broadband without a voice capability and then use a third party VoIP provider with your third party router.

If you wish to take BT Digital Voice, you will have to use the SH2. Although the SH2 doesn't have a bridge mode, if you are happy with double natting, you can turn off the WiFi on the hub and connect your third party router to the SH2

Message 3 of 7

Re: What are my options after upgrading to full fibre in regards to QOS and digital voice

Go to solution

@licquorice I like the first idea. I think I will have to do that after finding some suitable VoIP providers.

And just to confirm my 3rd party router will support the new FTTP? It does support VDSL2 I should be good? It's a TP-Link Archer VR400.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You will need to configure the vr400 in router only mode rather than DSL modem/ router mode. The ONT connects to the WAN port.

Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@licquorice Cool, thank you very much for your help.

Hopefully that's easy to do and it supports the faster Fibre 100 speed, if not guess I'll be back here in 2 weeks to ask for recommendations for a new router better suited to FTTP 😂

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Netflix only uses 17mb for 4k, QOS is totally overkill on the BT100 service

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I have had the Full Fibre 500 for about a week now, using an ASUS RT-AX88U router with QoS turned off. However, one of my son's devices started hogging all the upload bandwidth at around 73Mbps, so my question is, would that have affected other activities I might have wanted to use at the same time (I didn't get chance to check because the upload stopped before I was able to do so) and if so, does that suggest I ought to turn QoS back on?

0 Ratings