cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Which network does a UK landline belong to?

Hi

I'm helping my family manage the estate of a relative who recently passed away without leaving much paperwork.

We are trying to inform the landline phone provider, my first call was to the BT bereavement line but they confirmed that the number in question is not a BT number.

I've tried this utility, https://portal.aql.com/telecoms/network_lookup.php which suggests the number IS a BT number but I have no reason to trust it.

Does anyone know how I find out who manages a landline number so I can contact them to stop all payments, would it be Ofcom or someone like that?

All answers appreciated.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Which network does a UK landline belong to?

Have you tried calling 150 to see who you get through to? That number is usually the fault number for the line provider.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
Message 3 of 8

No I haven't very good point
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

All that shows is number is part of BT allocated number but from what posted the line has been ported to another provider. Can you not check bank account for DD payments?  Did the person have broadband connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Its probably worth mentioning that I'm doing this remotely so not at the deceased's home. He did have connectivity through an ISP albeit a small one which I hadn't heard of before and who I don't think have a phone service. We'll have to check the bank statements for DDs when the DC comes through.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

In vast majority of cases the phone and broadband provided are one and the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 8

@DazedandConfused100 

What are the first six digits of the phone number, please do not post the whole number?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I would suspect that what BT mean is that the number isn’t one they have an account for, that’s not to say it’s not a BT number, but  if (  for example )  the consumer at some point ported the number from BT  to Talk Talk, the number would show in the Ofcom number range checker as belonging to BT , but TT currently have the number and are responsible for any account that is using it.

There are lots of Telecom company’s and many of them have their own number ranges

0 Ratings