cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
priyp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Who is responsible for Purple Cable outside our house ??

Hello. Please may I ask if anyone knows who is responsible for the Purple Cable that enters our house from outside ??

We are number 3 of a Terrace of 4 houses. A main wire comes from a Telegraph Pole across the road to House #1. Then a Black cable goes to House #2 where it enters a Black vertical tube, out of which comes a Purple cable (which goes into the house, connecting to the main socket) and a Black cable continues to next house (and its vertical tube) ... and so on.

Our Purple cable that exits the vertical tube and enters our house is only about 4 feet long but in very poor condition with exposed internal wires in two places (see photo). Can I ask BT (or is it Openreach) to come and repair before it fails ... or is it my responsibility ??

thanks in advance. BRgds

27CCBDDC-AE21-43B4-BC35-25C93FF24918.jpeg

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Who is responsible for Purple Cable outside our house ??

Technically it’s your Lead In so Openreaches Responsibility but as they didn’t install it, they’ve never used that kind of cable they may charge your provider for the repair, who may then pass the charge onto you.

0 Ratings
priyp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for swift response. We moved in FEB’14 as a new build. Had to wait a month or so (as I recall) for Openreach to connect us up as there was no connection to all three new builds ... end House #1 was existing with telephone cable from across the road. We have been customers with BT from the get-go. Not sure what paperwork I have to prove it was Openreach ... will have a look. Cheers

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

If you purchased it as a new build I’d hazard a guess the Builder/Developer put that Purple Cable in, most likely a Sparky.

Openreach will adopt the wiring, just like the Council would the road on a new site but if it’s not done as per Openreaches Instructions in their Developer Handbook they will usually charge to fix/replace/bring up to standard any wiring done by the Builder.

0 Ratings
priyp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Good news ... I have found original BT eMails with order number (28FEB14) , booking of Phone Line Engineer for 11APR14, and ‘activation’ of order (11APR14) after his visit ... However, I am guessing it was the builders who probably left a coil of Purple wire sticking out of the brickwork for him to connect to (as you have eluded to above) ??  I will contact BT to see what they say. Will let you know outcome.

(edited as we crossed ... you have mentioned the exact same above 😉

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

If the house was a new build in 2014, perhaps you would be in possession of some form of guarantee from the building developer. If they are a household name, you may be able to involve them. Just an idea. 

That wiring looks disgusting. If a sparky did that, I would be a little surprised that Openreach left it as is.

0 Ratings