cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fandango123
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Why Does My Landline No-Longer Work?

Two weeks ago, I kept receiving a spam call from a call centre in india (Which had an 0208 number but was confirmed to be in india per a web search and my call display showed it was indeed an international number). After getting fed up of them pestering me and my family at odd times in the day (4am, 1am etc), I answered it and they claimed to be from BT, didnt answer when I asked what my name was, and they wanted to have access to all my devices as my router had been infected. This was obviously a scam so I gave them such an ear bashing in hindi, they never called again. Downside is since then, I haven't received any other phone calls.

At first, I assumed it was due to my (now old) landlines which were over 13 years old and playing up. I just got a trio of new "BT Premium Handsets", which I plugged in yesterday and setup today. However all 3 phones are now showing "Line cord error. Please check."

The cables look OK, the socket appears undamaged from the outside and my 76.6mb-verified broadband still works perfectly well via LAN and wifi on desktop, mac, laptop, tablets, phones and games consoles. How would this issue get resolved?

fyi: not an electrician, no loose cables or cables hanging from multiple outlets, the phone wire socket has 2 outlets (1 for broadband and other for phone) and both look undamaged / clear. I haven't called BT yet as other users have reported having to pay over £100 just to diagnose the issue (and sadly my family is tight for money).

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Why Does My Landline No-Longer Work?

Hi there @fandango123

Have you got another handset you can try?  I corded one would be ideal. 

If you don't could you borrow a working one, or pick one up from say Argos?

Then you can test for outgoing calls, or dial 17070 and listen for the announcements. 

You said the Internet works fine, so I doubt the line has any issues. 

Just another thought regarding the socket, does it look like 

thisthisor thisthis?

Just incase it could be socket related. 

I hope this helps. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
fandango123
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

tried 3 different handset (1 corded) to no avail.

0 Ratings
fandango123
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

looks like the left one
0 Ratings